Author Topic: Mary CUNDY m Bakewell 1803  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mary CUNDY m Bakewell 1803
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DB41/DBY/Cundey01.html

Links the Mary CUNDY (according to marriage entry as 'of Monyash') who married Daniel CHRITCHLOW at Bakewell All Saints 26 December 1803 with Mary the daughter of Thomas and Mary (christened at Bakewell All Saints 25 June 1779) CUNDY.

The same Daniel, I am sure it's the same Daniel, was married to a Mary (b abt 1783) as documented in the 1841/51/61 and 71 censuses, she being 'not born Derbyshire' in 1841 and born Longnor, Staffordshire (only a few miles from Monyash, her home)  in subsequent censuses. I've not found a death of a Mary Chritchlow (however spelt) nor a remarriage for Daniel but it's a nagging doubt that my g4 granny Mary was not born in Longnor. Certainly, it's a brick wall, in that although a Zachariah was burying his children at Longnor around the time consistent with him being Mary's father, I haven't been able to gain firm information on Mary's parents.

Note the marriage of Mary CUNDY (of Bakewell) to William TAYLOR 1 October 1814 at Bakewell. I had assumed this was likely to be the Mary CUNDY, daughter of Thomas and Mary (mentioned above).

So please help! Are you able to find the link between the Mary CUNDY married in 1803 with the Mary christened at Bakewell in 1779 (yes, she may have been born Longnor but christened Bakewell but this doesn't detract from the question I pose) that allows the link to be made on the above website?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary CUNDY m Bakewell 1803
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks like the Mary bapt in 1779 may have died in 1811

Burial

Mary Cundy da of Thomas & Mary 4.6. 1811 at Bakewell (no age given)

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
'm looking at this for you..but I can tell you that the MARY CUNDY "of Ashover"..was not born there.....there are no Cundy Baptisms at Ashover..i have the PR's..........which does not help much at this stage...but if she HAD been born Ashover we#d be in trouble!!

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:19 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Daniel Chritchlow to Mary Cundy 1803 at Bakewell...shows them BOTH as "of Ashover"....like living in ashover at the time of their marriage as opposed to BORN in Ashover..so why complicate things??

By the way Longnor is one of those places that could never make up its mind whether it was in Derbyshire or Staffordshire...........you'll find a lot of small villages in the area ending up (in 1837) in the civil registration district of either Burton on trent or even Lichfield.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek

Please advise where you get the information on the 1803 marriage of Daniel CHRITCHLOW and Mary CUNDY, in particular that both bride and groom were from Ashover.

I have a copy of an entry in the Bakewell parish register (just checked it) which has them 'both of Moniash in this parish'

If there's another marriage, then it gets even more complicated
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

This looks like Mary's death

Mary Critchlow
Dec Q 1871
aged 89
Bakewell Reg District (which cover Monyash where they were living in 1871)
Ref 7b 431

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Yes, that registration is definitely Mary the widow of Daniel C(H)RITCHLOW, born Longnor about 1783. She was buried at Monyash St Leonards burial ground 5 October 1871.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
This gets a wee bit odd.......Sunflower I missed you first message about the death of Mary..but your date is wrong. .

We have TWO Mary Cundy's (three actually but one is too early) baptised at Bakewell..both daughter of Thomas and Mary....maybe the same parents replacing an earlier dead mary.

BUT the Mary CUNDY 25.06.1779 DEFINITELY married William Taylor Shoemaker in 1814..but she died 1817 aged 37.(as mary taylor)...clearly stated as wife of William Taylor and daughter of Thomas and Mary......
she is clearly the Mary baptised 25.06.1779.........

The other Mary Cundy was baptised 15.02.1769 also daughter of Thomas and Mary..source Bakewell PR's..NOT some silly submitted IGI record!!..............which rather puts the cat among the pigeons!!............EDIT!..just seen you latest post..SORRY typo..it IS of course Moneyash......

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
I'm getting confused as I thought you said in your first post that you hadn't found a death of Mary Critchlow (however spelt)

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon