Author Topic: George Richardson of Wroot  (Read 2186 times)

Offline simonetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Richardson of Wroot
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to determine if my ancestor, George Richardson, Jr. (?-1862) was born in Wroot in 1803, the child of George, Sr. and Ann Richardson. George, Sr. and Ann had five children all christened in Wroot, Lincolnshire, between 1803-1809:  George (possibly my ancestor), Thomas, Samuel, Robert, and Hannah.  Robert married twice first to Susannah Maw then to Susannah Standring and stayed in England.  Hannah married William Maw and stayed in England.  I do not know what happened to Thomas and Samuel.  My ancestor, George, Jr., married Mary Ann Pearson, had children christened in Hatfield Parish, Yorkshire and immigrated to Canada in the 1830's then moved to Michigan, USA, where he died in 1862.  I can share a paper record from my George to me and also Y-DNA from this Richardson line.  Thanks for any help or suggestions. 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Richardson of Wroot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi simonetta, welcome to RootsChat :)

Try the right hand page here http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=560760&iid=119338
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline simonetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Geoff, thank you so much!  I had not seen the original -- only a transcription.  It's thrilling to see the original.  Now, my problem is figuring out if this George is my George.  Name, date, and geography fit, but is that enough?!  Richardson seems to be such a common surname.  It would be lovely to find descendants from this family who could say, "Yes, there's a family story that George emigrated."  Or George's parents' names on his marriage record to Mary Ann Pearson.  Or a long lost letter or photo.  I know that's dreaming.  I'll keep looking for more proof, but until then will embrace this George and hope that he is mine.

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Well his marriage in 1825 is here:

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=560261&iid=118423 but no parents' names  :(

oh but one witness is Thomas Richardson (brother?)

Offline simonetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Dear hugatree, the circumstantial evidence continues to mounts.  The record on page 9 indicates George is from Hatfield, which is where his children were all baptized.  Thomas, a witness, could be a brother.  I noticed on page 8, Thomas Richardson married Elizabeth Elvidge, and he was possibly a witness to the marriage of Jane Richardson on the same page.  I also noticed that Thomas and Elizabeth had consent of parents but George and Mary Ann did not.  Is that significant?  Or maybe a function of how old the bride and groom were or whether parents were alive?  More pieces to the puzzle.  I found a book about Hatfield and Axholme by Cory Vernon and will try to get a copy to learn more about the area.  I will also see if I can register on the Lincs site in order to view other records.  If you all have any other suggestions, I would welcome them.  Again, many thanks! 

Offline smross17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I am also in the family line of George and Mary Ann, through Samuel Richardson and Catherine Kinney, and Harriet Richardson+ Frederick Grice. Your guess sounds like a pretty good lead, especially since George Sr. had a son named Samuel. Perhaps George Jr.  named his Samuel after his brother.

Offline simonetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear smross17 -- I just tried sending you a message, but your inbox is full.  Please let me know a way to contact you.  I would be glad to share information and photos with you.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Until smross17 has made another post, possibly two, he/she won't be able to use the PM system.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline smross17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 December 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Linda, have you gotten my other messages to your email? I've sent links to you with some photos. Shannon