Author Topic: 'Scudds' arrival on the ship 'Constitution  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Tambora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
'Scudds' arrival on the ship 'Constitution
« on: Friday 20 May 05 13:54 BST (UK) »
My mum has researched our family tree quite a few years ago now.   Her information says that I am a descendant of Richard Scudds b 7/6/35 in Berkshire, who arrived in Australia on the ship 'Constitution' in 1855.  I am trying to take the next step in verifying who his parents were, but I am struggling just to find a record of him never mind his parents.  Can anyone help?

The other details I have of him are:

married Phebe Ann Harvey 21/7/1868 at Mudgee NSW
Died 16/6/1917 at age 82 at Dubbo

Scudds

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Scudds' arrival on the ship 'Constitution
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 05 14:52 BST (UK) »
Tam

Do you have a copy of his death certificate. If the informant knew, it would contain the names of his parents and his children. The marriage certificate may also contain parents (although it may be too early). His children all appear to be listed on the NSW Index. Do you have all these details?

This is presumably his immigration record
SCUDS Richard 21  Constitution 1855 2137, 2469
There do not appear to be any other family on board.
from online indexes at http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
You may be able to find someone who goes to the archives to check the film, or you can order copies by mail (you can get multi records for the one fee - if you have more immigrants!). If you are in Sydney (or other areas of NSW, I think) you can visit yourself.

I do not know what is on the NSW immigrant files, sometimes you get occupation and where from, sometimes simply the name.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 14:30 BST (UK) »
If you order his marriage certificate it will show his parents' names, also where he was born.

Offline Tambora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:09 BST (UK) »
The Marriage certificate does not list any parents for Richards and the Death Certificate says not known.  I have posted a message on the Oxfordshire lookup request page - appears he was born in Newnham murren - maybe someone can find him there.
Scudds

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 07 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a complete passenger list.  Your Richard did come from Newnham, aged 21 years, agricultural labourer, couldn't read or write, religion CofE.  Unfortunately parents are not listed.

Shame we couldn't find his descendants prior to the reunion as it was a great day.  If you pm me I can give you heaps more information.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 June 07 04:42 BST (UK) »
The Marriage certificate does not list any parents for Richards and the Death Certificate says not known.  I have posted a message on the Oxfordshire lookup request page - appears he was born in Newnham murren - maybe someone can find him there.

NSW certificates can be annoying  :(  I have an 1873 marriage with no parents shown - yet Vic & Qld at this time have all the details - disappointing for you.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline micas69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 03:43 BST (UK) »
R S emigrated, "Constitution" ship left London 1855 Feb 17 arrived Australia 1855 May 27, assisted passenger, his surname being spelt with one "D". Neither read nor write, no relations in the colony, good health, no complaints, 1pound passage. R S  21yr. Farm Labourer. Born:Newnham, parents:Thomas & Sophie, both deceased, Anglican.

His siblings were
1828 Israel
1831 Elizabeth
1832 Stephen
1834 Another Richard - all Newnham Murren
1837 James - Wallingford
1839 Eliza - Newnham Murren
1841 Elizabeth
1843 Thomas
These later ones you can buy and find his mothers maiden name and hopefully you can tell me what her name was
My name is Carole
This data is correct to the best effort of James F Scutt
Scudds is a derivation of Scutts
See Scutt Family Trees
Go to Scutts page there is a family that begins with Scutts and then becomes Scudds
Would your mother or your self  like to add your family history to Jims database
If so you can contact him through his web page or
My email is

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

My husband has Scutts in his tree
His family is the last tree on the Scutts page and begins with William Scutts and Mary Hayward
Hope you enjoy this info
Carole