Author Topic: Banchory Ternan  (Read 3803 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banchory Ternan
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
I have a John Reid, Tailor, and his wife Christian Reid(maiden name Dallas) living in Burn of Bennie, Banchory Ternan, in 1870, when Christian dies.  John is the tailor and Christian is a shopkeeper(although blind).  John dies in 1875 in Burn of Bennie, Banchory Ternan.  I found him in the 1871 census records but I am unable to actually pinpoint where abouts he actually lived.  Burn of Bennie is just an area in Banchory Ternan.  Can anyone shed some light on this.
I will be visiting this area again later this year and hoped I might be able to find roughly where their dwelling may have been.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Banchory Ternan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, there:  I suggest you go first to the local library; they are extremely helpful in there and have all sorts of information for we genealogists - I was there myself about a month ago, so I know!  Good hunting!

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
That will have to wait as I live in Oxfordshire.  But thanks.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie, if you search for Burn O Bennie you should a map, I also have ancesters from that area your relations are buried in the Kirkyard of Banchory Ternan I have the inscription book so here is the inscription .
Erected in Memory of Christian Dallas wife of John Reid tailor Burn of Bennie d 18 sept,1870 aged 85.
Their dau.Jane d.5june 1845 aged 23, son James d.31 mar.1854 aged 27.John Reid tailor d.15 feb.1875 aged 82. I also have ancesters on the Dallas side from Stonehaven ?? Hope this helps you  :)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I do have the info on the Reid burials, but I have never gone down the Dallas line at all.  When John Reid and Christian Dallas married, their banns were heard in Banchory Ternan, Dunnottar and Glenbervie.  I had no idea of a Stonehaven connection.
We are hoping to be up in Banchory later this year, so will pursue the Burn o Bennie matter then.