Author Topic: 1873 Victorian Birth Certificate  (Read 4643 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1873 Victorian Birth Certificate
« on: Monday 14 May 12 06:46 BST (UK) »
I have located the birth certificate of an ancestor, Ann Price, born Sept 1873 in Newtown, Scarsdale, Victoria and find some information on it that I have never come across before.

In the area for the informant it shows her mothers name & residence and then the words "after declaration made and by law required".

Would this be noted in place of a signature or mark that is usually the case? Or, is there some other meaning/reason behind this?

Any assistance/ideas from Rootschatters appreciated.

Jeff

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: 1873 Victorian Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
Informative certificates aren't they!

The informant had to sign a statutory declaration by Law is all that means. They had to have proof that they were who they said they were.

The declaration would have been signed obviously.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 12 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Does a similar declaration appear on any other entries on that page?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
I think the question should be who was present. The columns have a space to show if the informant was present if the mother or father. But it could be a sister or grandmother and they would have to prove that the parents could not attend.

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Agh, I see.... I have only a very few VIC bcs, and there are usually several on the one page.... 

Your explanation makes very good sense to me .... One birth cert from rural Vic for a great Aunt ... her eldest brother, aged 13 registered her birth and yes, there's a declaration clause on that, but there's nearly five weeks between the birth and when he registered it.   Also this brother had fetched the baby along to PROVE it.  I might note that the lad got absolutely every detail RIGHT ... spot on, all the siblings, the parents details, even the exact date and place of their marriage, and his signature shows he was well able to read and write.  He must have been mighty proud of the first GIRL in the family .... there were 8 boys before this girl came along,  ;D  ;D  ;D so they had another girl next time  (a girl and a spare)  :)

Sorry for digressing, I love learning new things here at RChat. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I have an 1874 Victorian birth record with 5 births on the page.

Two of them have the bit about after declaration made as by law required.  One of them has the grandmother as informant.
The other one has mother as informant but under the column witnesses where (1) is name by whom certified this certificate has "not any" (followed by 2 witnesses).

The other 3 have mother or father as informant and a name for who certified under witnesses and nothing about a declaration.

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your input everyone. Glad to hear this is not as unusual as I thought. I have quite a few Vic birth certs and have never seen it before. Checking this certificate (alone on the page), I note that there were no witnesses present when the mother registered the birth....2 months after the event.

The other details on the certificate are very detailed as well. Possibly, the Registrar, Walter Campbell was just one of those people that dot his i's and cross his t's. It's better than some other certs I have where I sure they must have been about to go to lunch and scribbled indecipherably!!

Cheers.
Jeff

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a NSW certificate from around the same time with the same wording. Here the child had been registered by the mother 3 months after its date of birth.

So perhaps it has to do with the length of time between birth and registration.
I understand there is a time period in which to register a birth and teh declaration may be need for births registerd outside this time limit.

regards
Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
I noticed something else but don't know if it would be relevant. It appears that they asked if the child was present at the registration. There had to be lots of reasons why you couldn't present a child and/or mother at a registration, ill health and so on. But I dont have certs without the baby and mother being present at registration. I wondered if any one else may have one or is this the reason for the declaration. ???

Neil