Author Topic: Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Ibis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary
« on: Monday 14 May 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Researching John Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary Ireland. Sent to Australia in 1802 as an Irish dissident aboard 'Atlas 11'

Married Elizabeth Gurney 1813 NSW Australia and they had 9 children.

Lived in Appin NSW where they had a farm named 'Doon'

Looking for any information in Ireland regarding John's parents and any siblings.

Any help on where to go to for research in Ireland would be much appreciated.

Thanks

DWYER:Ireland, Tipperary
CHANDLER: England, Padbury, Buckinghamshire,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

An earlier thread someone started looking for same person (Tipperary board)-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,4508
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ibis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. Will give it a try.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a townland (a small administrative area) called Doon in Co. Tipperary about 20 miles east of Limerick.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, John Dwyer is my GGGG grandfather.  I have a little information about his family.  Not too much though as I am still in the process of researching.  He was born in Kilkenny on 10 June 1776 and died at Appin on 19 Sep 1844.

His father was Patrick Dwyer and his mother Eleanor Comerford.  I have no details as yet about Patrick but Eleanor was born Moyne, Tipperary, Ireland in 1755 and died in 1810 in Clonmel, Tipperary.

This information I received from another ancestry.com member so I can't guarantee that it is 100% accurate.

I have recently visisted John and Elizabeth's graves at Appin and I have a photograph of Doon Farm if you are interested.

I an a descendant of John and Elizabeth's son, Thomas.

Leisa

Offline Ibis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Leisa,

John Dwyer was my gggGrandfather. John & Elizabeth's daughter Catherine was my ggGrandmother.

I have been researching this line for a while and have various snippets of information. Currently I am trying to find a record of John & Elizabeth's marriage. I could not find any record  online at NSW BDM however have found information in some papers my Mum had that indicated they were married at St Phillip's Church Sydney 17 July 1813 and that the first two children Tomas & John were baptized there also.

I plan to make a trip to St Phillip's in the near future to see if I can find these records.

As a child I used to visit Appin with my family and my Grandfather would always take me for a stroll through St Bede's Churchyard at Appin while he paid his respects to his mother and other relatives that were buried there.

Perhaps if I find the marriage certificate it will verify  the information about John's father and mother that you have, and maybe John's birthplace, which I have as Tipperary, although I'm not sure just how much information would be on an early church record.

John must have been a very interesting man as I believe after his absolute pardon he became District Constable at Appin. He also apparently had land at The Rocks in Sydney.

I would be interested in the photo of Doon Farm. In the little printed story my Mum had there is a very blurred picture of Doon Farm before its demolition and it would be nice to see a photo.

Lovely to hear from you and perhaps we can keep in contact by email if you like.

Regards,
Lynette

Offline lgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynette,

That would be great.  I would love to keep in touch. 

I think you may be right about John and Elizabeth being married in St Phillips Church, Sydney.  Thomas, their son and my GGG grandfather was baptised in that church. I have attached the certificate for you to look at.  It makes sense that they got married in 1813 and Thomas was born that same year so he was baptised in the same place ! I have been told that it was the only church around at that time.

I have also attached some other photos that you might already have, I received them from an ancestry.com member who I have been in contact with who is reseaching the Dwyer family also.  They are of Catherine so you may have seen them before.

I was only able to attach two photos to this message so I will send you another with the picture of Doon Farm and the birth certificate.  It was not the greatest photo but it gives you the general idea.

Thanks for getting back to me.  Hopefully we can find out more information about the Dwyers.

Leisa

Offline lgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 June 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynette,

Here are the other two attachments as promised.

Leisa

Copyright image removed

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Leisa and Lynette
I have just come across your post from 2012 and I am also trying to find more information relating to John Dwyer's family in Ireland. John Dwyer was my 3rd gr grandfather; his son, Thomas, my 2nd gr grandfather and Thomas' son, James Joseph, my 1st gr grandfather. Were either of you able to find any more information on John's family in Ireland? I have a book called John Dwyer 1776-1844 by Suzanne McNamara which is full of fascinating info and pics and it give a little information of his family, but no mention of a father.

I am also frustrated in my search of Thomas' wife, Margaret Mary Shannon/Clynch/D'Arcy. More so though with her mother who I have as Mary Duffy. I'm not convinced though that the surname may be Duffy and have just ordered a certificate for her marriage to James Shannon.

Do you have anything that can help me?

cheers
Jilly