Author Topic: Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Ibis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer bc:1776 Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 September 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

Just wanted to reply so you know I've seen your post. I'm flat chat for the next 2 weeks so won't be able to get to my records. It's been a while since I've done any more research with the Dwyer branch and I'll have to refresh where I was up to.

The last thing I did was to get a copy of John Dwyers probate packet which was interesting reading.
I have not done any searches of Irish Records as it all seemed a bit hard to do.

I will have a refresh when things settle down here and get back to you with anything I think may be of help in your search.

Regards,
Lynette

DWYER:Ireland, Tipperary
CHANDLER: England, Padbury, Buckinghamshire,

Offline lgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 September 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly

Margaret Mary Shannon was my ggg grandmother and I also have no information on her.  I have a copy of her death certificate that shows her mother as not known.  All I know is that her father was James Shannon and was a sergeant in the Police Force. 

Sorry I cannot be of any further help.  She seems a bit of a mystery.  I have looked into this a little and she is not either Clynch or D'arcy as they are a completely different person.  Mary Duffy is the mother of Margaret Clynch/D'arcy, not our Margaret Shannon.

As for John Dwyer's father I have him listed as Patrick Dwyer and his mother as Eleanor Comerford.  Unfortunately I don't have any dates for Patrick.

If I ever come across any additional information I will be sure to let you know.

Leisa

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lynette and Leisa for such a quick reply. Lynette time is always on our side with this crazy hobby of ours so no urgency . . . . . just whenever you get a spare five minutes.
Leisa I had come to the conclusion that Margaret Shannon was Margaret Clynch. Mary Duffy married John Clynch in 1820, Laurence D'Arcy in 1827 and James Shannon, after Laurence D'Arcy. I figured that since Margaret Shannon was born in 1824 that she was only little when Mary and James Shannon became a couple and she assumed the surname Shannon. Would love to know your thoughts on that one. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree!  ;D ;D

This is the information I got from the book I mentioned.
"John Dwyer was born in 1776 in Doon, Limerick. It is believe his mother is Margaret Dwyer of Doon as there is a record of a Margaret Dwyer in the Tithe Applotment Books of 1824, which can be found at the Limerick Ancestry. Margaret Dwyer was mentioned as being a widow who owned a stone house in Doon, in the townland of Toomaline. John had five sisters and one brother; there are no records of his father. At the time of John's trial his mother was living with him at his property in Doon. The earliest written record of John Dwyer was 10 May 1800 in Doon, Limerick. He states his trade as being a stonecutter. John purchased properties in NSW and the name of his house in Appin was Doon. This land in East Bargo was called Toomaline."
I have a copy of John's trial and it states he had 5 sisters and 1 brother therefore I assume his mother is Margaret as mentioned.
Next rainy day (hopefully tomorrow) I'll go through some Irish sites I have and see what I can find.
Cheers
Jilly

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 September 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Often the priest gives the townland on these parish records, there are some Dwyers from Doon but it would take a lot of time to work through them
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0260
Unfortunately they there is nothing before 1824.
And there was quite a few Dwyer families in Doon
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g5e/

Perhaps they will be more precise and write Tomaline if you are very lucky
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g5f/

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 October 23 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Dwyer family
We are hoping you are active and see this... there is a facebook group called  Condon/Dwyer's of Australia Genealogical Project  which was started by John Dwyer, Victoria Australia. His ancestor was Matthew Dwyer from Tipperary, Ireland, born c1795.   I know Matthew's sons and daughter moved to Australia as adults in the 1840s, but we are finding connections to lots of different families obviously.  The group has lots of Dwyers from different branches of the Dwyer family tree, but we are all helping each other find more info and sharing what we know.  We would love you all to join, so we can all find the answers to the mysteries in our family trees. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197404346643461/
Hope to see you soon :)
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History