Author Topic: Hamlets of Glack and Balwhern in Perthshire  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Balquharn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hamlets of Glack and Balwhern in Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Try this web link. Six old maps of our house and the surrounding area.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/marker/#zoom=15&lat=56.5051&lon=-3.5874&f=0&z=1&marker=56.5043,-3.5784&from=1550&to=1971&i=228779680
National library of Scotland.

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 September 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Balquharn!

I just saw this and am surprised there hasn't been an onslaught before now!

Are you in the house at 56.504607, -3.576997  ?

The furthest back I trace my husband's people (Paton), this is where they are, but there were more buildings then.  Then they moved to Bellstoun (Belstane).

I would be very interested in any history you have come across, and am happy to share the little I know.

Cheers,
Rupie

Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 September 23 23:33 BST (UK) »
As various people have said nils maps is a great resource.
I particularly like the boundary viewer which makes very clear the boundaries and their changes.
It made understanding locations in Migvie which had three detached parts much easier.

See attached for Glack

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/boundaries/#zoom=13.1&lat=56.51067&lon=-3.60045&dates=1880&point=56.5073,-3.6029
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 00:47 BST (UK) »
Mmm.  Thanks for this, David.

I see that the road past Belstane,  going up to Glack and Balquharn has finally been scanned onto Google Maps street view.

It's nice to get a look at some of the buildings that would have stood when my family was there.

Have a lovely day!
R
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Balquharn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 06:53 BST (UK) »
Good morning. If it helps, if you go to the What3words web site our house is ///headstone.stocks.throats.
We have lived here for nearly a year. We bought it from Maurice Paxton. We bought the house and the steading building.
A local digger driver was able to tell me that about 50 years ago they tried to cultivate the land surrounding the house but came across all the foundations for the rest of the building and houses that once stood here. Due to cost they did not remove them, instead planting a Forrest across the site.