Author Topic: 1870 census lookup please  (Read 1599 times)

Offline wonkiewidge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1870 census lookup please
« on: Friday 20 May 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for a George England who was born around 1861 in Pancras London.
His father was called John England and he was a tiler.

I can find no trace of him in the English census around 1871, nor in the 1861.
Also I have not been able to find a birth entry.

However I have found him in the English 1901 census in Edmonton London, and with him a possible sister who was born in "Jersey Brooklyn NY".

Is it possible John emigrated to America when George was a baby and then had more family there?

Any help would be gratefully received. :-\

Linda
London & Middlesex
Clement, England, Record, Pittman, Reeve, Crane, Mulvey, Jones, Elliott, Nailor,

Shropshire/ Herefordshire
Humphries/reys, Howells, Hodnet, Medlicott, Prince, Coulton/Colton/Brecknock,

Gloucestershire - Bristol ....... Surname  'England'

Kent
Gullock

Suffolk
Battram, Langley, Becraft/Becroft

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: 1870 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 02:52 BST (UK) »
Do you know when the father John England was born?  Also who was the wife? This may help narrow down the search.  :)
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1870 census lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 05:55 BST (UK) »
In Newton (Long Island), Queens County, New York; recorded on 30 July 1870 (official census date 1 June):

John England, age 80, gardener, real estate value $6,000, personal estate value $500, born in England, U.S. citizen

Mary England, age 36, keeping house, born in Ireland

Children (with ages), all listed as born in New York and attending school, as follows:  Mary 14, Thomas 12, George 10, and William 8

Two other people were living with them. . .
Nicholas Feiddel, age 21, laborer, born in Germany
Mary Orman, age 42, works in lot, born in Ireland

Everyone was listed as having foreign-born parents.

The age is right for George, but not the birthplace.  If you think this is them, I found the same family on the 1860 census, and can give you that information as well.

Brooklyn, by the way, is also located on Long Island.  I'm not sure what the "Jersey" part refers to, as I'm not totally familiar with the geography there.  The state of New Jersey is located right across the water from Long Island, and is often referred to as just "Jersey".
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.