Author Topic: 1st World War Regiments  (Read 2061 times)

Offline stevgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st World War Regiments
« on: Monday 14 May 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
My great uncles (McCues) were both killed in the 1st World War. My research has one (John) in the Argyll & Southern Highlanders and the other (Thomas) in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. The war memorial in their own town has Thomas listed as being in the RSF (see pic).

Would anyone be able to shed any light on this discrepancy?
Gallagher; Goggins; McCue; Gray; McLafferty; McDonald; Morrison; Docherty; Murphy; O'Henly; Steel;Deans

Clydebank; Dunbartonshire; South Uist; Donegal; Glasgow; Mayo

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1st World War Regiments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

In WW1 it was not unusual for a soldier have served in more than one regiment. This could be due to having been wounded and then sent to a regiment that was being brought back up to strength to replace casualties.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
And also lots of mistakes were made....What does his Medal Index Card and CWGC say?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Medal Card says Royal Dublin Fusiliers (plus Royal Fusiliers and Labour Corps). He is not listed in CWGC. There are people on the Great War Forum who can help with getting an entry onto CWGC.

I suspect it is a mistake, either by the person who compiled the list for the mason, or the mason himself who have carved RSF a few times.

I cannot find a service record on Ancestry. If he was over 21 you should check the electoral roll. And then you need to check the newspapers.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Do you know when he died? If he did die whilst still in service as Ken says its possible that he has been missed by CWGC however a Death Cert would be needed If he died post discharge (theres nothing on his Medal Card saying died) and it wasnt war related (maybe flu) then he wouldnt be entitled to be on CWGC ..

It could be the Royal Iniskilling Fusilier Thomas McCue he died at "home" in 1918 enlisted Lanark??

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline stevgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all responses. Thomas died on 16th August 1917 during the battle of Passchendale aged 26. The CWGC have him named as McHugh as opposed to McCue.

I didn't realise that soldiers moved from regiment to regiment so that is probably most likely scenario - out of interest what regiment was RSF?

Ken ...where can medal card info be sourced?

Gallagher; Goggins; McCue; Gray; McLafferty; McDonald; Morrison; Docherty; Murphy; O'Henly; Steel;Deans

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
RSF are Royal Scots Fusiliers....Medal Index Cards are on Ancestry or National Archives to download

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Steve
A small comment on your original post.  A & S H is Sutherland rather than Southern.
RSF is Royal Scots Fusiliers.
Medal index cards are free if you can access Ancestry, or two pounds if via the National Archives, documents online.
A

Offline stevgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks - I'll have a look for medal cards...didn't realise I had written Southern - I'll blame a predictive keyboard!!! should be ashamed of myself classing a Scottish regiment as 'Southern!!  ;D