Author Topic: 1841 Census - Jones - Little Oakley  (Read 860 times)

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Jones - Little Oakley
« on: Friday 20 May 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm looking for James Jones on the 1841 Census - hoping that he will show up in Little Oakley.

Thank you

Chris
Mostly in Essex: Hammond Hazell Southgate Barfield Cant Grant Whymark Jones

Mostly in Hampshire: Pollard Grant Aldred Hall Eade Coombs Newell Newman Reed Aburrow Andrews

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Jones - Little Oakley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 05 15:10 BST (UK) »
Verona
I couldn't spot any JONES at all in Little Oakley in 1841.  Is the one in Kirby the right age? If so, I'll post the full census details.
Christine
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 05 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again

My word you've been busy on our behalf!

We are in the dark about James Jones.  His daughter, Agnes, born in Middlesex in about 1857 married Richard's great Grandfather, Charles Barfield, in Little Oakley in 1875.  It is from that marriage that we know the name of her father so we were really on a fishing expedition to see if he was about all that time before.  Perhaps it would make more sense to look for him in 1851 and 61 and work from there.

Any ideas?  I think the 1861 would be the place to start.  Do you have access or shall I post another request?

Again may we say many thanks for all your delving.

Chris and Richard

Mostly in Hampshire: Pollard Grant Aldred Hall Eade Coombs Newell Newman Reed Aburrow Andrews

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 05 04:14 BST (UK) »
I have a single cd for 1861 covering that part of Essex - my interest lies in Harwich - where Southgate does come into my line (Randall)   It doesn't have an index so it is a matter of trawling.  It might be worth another post as someone with an ancestry sub shall probably be quicker, and cover a wider area.
I'll keep an eye out and if you dont get an answer I'll have a look in mine when I have time.
Christine

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Verona,
I'm just looking in my 1841 cd at West Street in Harwich, following up on a 1851 request done for me, and I have just spotted
James JONES, aged 25, a Mariner, NOT born in county.
Also in the household, Mary aged 20, Mary Ann aged 10 months.
Maria LAWLEY aged 14.  All Not born in county.
This household is shown as living with another household headed by Elizabeth WEBB, aged 35, widow crossed out.
Elizabeth 14, Mary 8, Ann 7, James 5, Stephen 2. All born in county

HO107/344 / 19
Folio 10, page 14
West Street, Out part westward, Harwich St Nicholas

Christine

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine. 

Isn't the 1841 strange - the ages for the adults seem to be vague to the point of useless and it varies from enumerator to enumerator while the ages of children are precisely given. 

This could well be the same family given that Mary Ann is on the 1851 at age 8 but there should be a son, possibly called Norman, and by 1851 James' wife is Charlotte.

Presumably you saw the other posting that found Agnes in the 1861 listed as James' niece.  If the census information which Agnes gave is later years is correct and she was born in Highgate then the BMD seems to have only one person who fits the bill born in Pancras so I may have to order the certificate and see if it sheds any light.

Thanks again - I feel as though progress is being made.

Chris

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 15:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw the information re the other Jones family with Agnes.  This is the same Jones family I mentioned in Kirby in the Southgate message - in 1841.  I shall fish out the full details tomorrow.

There is a reason for the variation in 1841 adult ages - the enumerators were instructed to round off all ages over 15, to specific rules, to the nearest 5 years I think- which I have forgotten.  This is only for the 1841 census I believe.  And not all of them did it how it was supposed to be done.

Christine