Author Topic: 42 Harcourt Road, Uckfield.  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
42 Harcourt Road, Uckfield.
« on: Friday 20 May 05 17:04 BST (UK) »
This was the address of my great uncle SYDNEY BEAUMONT who was killed in France in 1918. On CWGC website, it gives this address and says he was the husband of H.K.G. BEAUMONT. Does anyone know anything of this couple or of the address? Does it still exist? It is only through this website that I learnt anything of the circumstances of my great uncle. My mother, who was a small child when he died, was under the impression he had emigrated to America after WW1. We didn't even know he was married. Any info would be most welcome. Ann
Lenhart(all areas): Beaumont, Steele, Phillips (Sussex): Daniels,  Kanngiesser (London): Lally (Ireland, London, Sussex): Mitchelhill (Scotland, London): Roberts (Kent): Excell (Kent, Sussex): Spice (Kent):Rains (Derbys, Nottingham): Greatorex (Derbys): Guy (Leics, Nottingham): Calcraft (Leics) Hebden, Willey (Yorks): Palmer (Lincs)

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: 42 Harcourt Road, Uckfield.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Ann,

the road still exist and is off the road to Franfield roughly opposite the Alma Arms. If he died in the war there might be some information at the War Memorial or in a roll of honour, but I am not sure which church covers this part of the town.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rod,now, when I get down to Sussex later in the year, I shall be able to have a look. He IS commemorated on a Roll of Honour and War Memorial in Croydon. This is because he was the Headmaster of a school there. It would seem he must have commuted from Uckfield which I would have thought unusual in the period 1911 to 1916 but maybe it wasn't.  I have had lots of help and information from Croydon Archives regarding him. Maybe he is commemorated in Uckfield too...something else to look for when I visit. Thanks again. Ann
Lenhart(all areas): Beaumont, Steele, Phillips (Sussex): Daniels,  Kanngiesser (London): Lally (Ireland, London, Sussex): Mitchelhill (Scotland, London): Roberts (Kent): Excell (Kent, Sussex): Spice (Kent):Rains (Derbys, Nottingham): Greatorex (Derbys): Guy (Leics, Nottingham): Calcraft (Leics) Hebden, Willey (Yorks): Palmer (Lincs)

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Ann,

this may not unusual as there was a railway link to Croydon from Uckfield. BUT are you looking at two people with the same name? I cannot find him at Uckfield in the 1911 Kelley's Directory.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?fn=000088b5.tif&dn=WSC13011tif&zoom=s

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
No, it is definitely him. His parents(my own great grandparents) and their town (Lewes) are correctly named on CWGC citation page. Also, Croydon Archives have sent me extracts from the school log book, relating to his time as Headmaster,including entries concerning his enlistment and death. He was appointed Head in 1911 but may not have been lving in Uckfield then. Did Kelly's list everyone living in the town or just those who had a business of some sort? The wording of the CWGC citation regarding the address is a bit ambiguous. It could mean it was his address or it could mean it was his wife's address at the time of his death. Thanks for the info re the railway line between Uckfield and Croydon. It clears up that little mystery in my mind and also adds a bit more detail to my knowledge of his life. I feel so sad about him. I only discovered what had happened to him recently. He was even posthumously awarded the M.C. for gallantry  but no survivng member of my family knew a thing about it. Poor man. I feel that, by researching him now, I am helping to make amends to him. Thanks. Ann