Author Topic: LEBHERZ - Immigration & Emigration  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEBHERZ - Immigration & Emigration
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Looks like a Lebherz family comprising Conrad 55 and Rosine 49 plus 11 children including a Johannes 5 arrived at Moreton Bay from Hamburg on the "Johann Cesar' in 1863.

The family was from Gross Bottwar, Wurttemberg, Germany.

Gerry

Offline Nowecious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 May 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you mum mum & Gerry.
I think my next move will be to get John's Death cert. (NZ) I think you (Gerry) have the right family on the Johann Cesar, as the names Conrad & Rosine/a are perpetuated in later generations.  They are not common names, although they might have been in that place at that time.  I have a suspicion that Jacob Fr. was a brother; he was married in 1870. Both families seem to like giving their childen 2-3 given names.
  I tried the NZ-BMD online last evening, but they 'said' that there were no Lebherz or Le Bherz entries???  Maybe the weather was affecting cyberspace (electrical storms) so I will try again today.
  Re the Houghtons - on the copy of their marriage entry, her maiden name is given as HOUTEN, so I will try for that spelling.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 May 12 00:51 BST (UK) »
On that voyage,

Conrad Lebherz 55
Rosine Lebherz 49
Jacob Lebherz 25
Rosine Lebherz 23
Catharine Lebherz 21
Dorothea Lebherz 18
Caroline Lebherz 15
Friederike Lebherz 13
Marie Lebherz 11
Friedrich Lebherz 9
Wilhelmine Lebherz 8
Johannes Lebherz 5
Catharine Lebherz 1

Gerry

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 May 12 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, when you look at the naturalization records for Jacob Frederick you will see that he sent his papers baack to have the spelling corrected. It was mispelt 'Lebhertz' I think so you will need to try all possible ways of spelling it. I dont know if you can use '*' to search NZ records.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline dylansmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 May 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Information from NZ BMD Website
DEATHS
Registration Number: 1925/5803
Family Name: Lebherz
Given Name(s): John
Date of Birth/: 67Yrs
Age at Death

I also found this in the Evening post, New Zealand, Saturday
October 15th 1910. On the 12th October 1910, at the residence of the Bride's parents 41 Palmer Street, Wellington, Harry Toomer, fourth son of John Toomer late of Christchurch, to Florence Emily Rosina Lebherz, youngest daughter of John Lebherz, Brisbane.

Offline Nowecious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again everybody.  I got John Lebherz's d/c,(1925), but it is not all that helpful. For instance it lists Living Issue as 3 males, 46, 42, and 39, which fits in nicely for Arthur John Conrad (Snr), Alfred William Jacob and Joseph Francis Samuel, but it makes no mention of daughters Catherine Mary Jane (who married CLAYTON) or Florence Emily Rosine (who married Harry TOOMER) - and she died 1929.
  It states that he had been in NZ for 17 years, but he & Emiline, and son AWJ & wife, are in the 1905 Oxley/Coorparoo Electoral Roll. Next found in the 1908 NZ Roll.  On Florence's ITM, Oct.1910,  she states she has been in Wellington for 3 years, which would indicate that they must have emigrated 1906/7.  John would probably have had to be resident for about 12 months before getting on to the Electoral Roll. I was told by both National Library & Archives NZ that it was highly unlikely that I would find out what ship they came out on, as by then the immigration schemes had finished, so unless someone has the family legend containing the name of the ship, that is a brick wall.
    I was told by the old man I met, who was son of Harry & Florence, that the le Bherz family in Christchurch (where the Toomers came from) was connected.    Bfn.  Nowecious.

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
This might be a bit of news but this Lebherz family figures prominently in the journals of my grandfather (William Armstrong)who was a Mormon missionary in Brisbane 1896-1898.  This was a beloved family for my grandfather and they were very active Mormons at the time.  There was a large apostasy of the Branch in 1901 and several members changed to the RLDS group.  It was around this turmoil that the Lebherz family moved to New Zealand, whereas two years earlier they had planned on immigrating to Salt Lake City, Utah.  I am not sure which faith they followed at that point.  Do you have photos of this family?  I have several that are unidentified and this family might be among them. I can check my records for the details that I have on the family.
Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline Nowecious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 June 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathy.Wow! That is a surprise.
John's Death Cert states that he belonged to the "Pentecostal
Church".  I am sure the boys would be thrilled to hear any information you could provide.  I have been wondering why the messages on the boards all seem to be chasing up other descendant lines (i.e. other children of John & Hannah Jane) but seem to ignore the family who came to NZ.
  I have a studio photo of Florence Emily Rosina and her husband Harry Toomer on their wedding day which I would be happy to forward to you. Also, if you have access to PapersPast, there are articles in Evening Post (Wellington) 14th March 1910; and Wairarapa Daily Times 31st July 1909; plus a couple of minor ads; and the wedding announcement (12th Oct.1910).
 Can I contact you separately to send the photo as an attachment? I will contact that part of the family to see if they have any other photos, although I doubt if they would be able to identify any older members of the family (unless someone had written the details on the back of a photo.)
I look forward to hearing from you again

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 June 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Until I hear from you and can write out the tale that I think you are anxious to hear, let me give you the family details that I have which might help you and those on Rootschat that are trying to help in your research. I don't know what is news or old information.

The church records that I have seen had brothers Jacob Frederick Lebherz born 1838 and John Lebherz born 1858 as the sons of John C. Lebhertz and Catherine Deuble.  I know that he was married to Hannah J. Houghton, but I don't know if it was death or divorce that ended the marriage.  John married Emmeline Wilson, who was divorced or widowed from John Wilson. Your John and Emmeline married in May 1896. With "yours and mine" children around the same age it was an interesting mix of families and personalities.
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland