Author Topic: Uniform?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I did take that into consideration James, was just showing a comparison. We do have to remember though that some regt's did have variations of their badges over the years. Unfortunately, online sites mostly show the most recent or most well known.

Many regt's have different badges for officers, also worn by WO's in some cases. This is very common in cavalry regt's such as my old regt.

I would still go with the Welch as first choice.

John915

PS A close look at the badges in my previous post will show them to be modern staybright  made in one piece. Older badges made of brass and other metals were usually made in two or more parts joined together. These were often different in proportions to the modern badge.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 17:41 BST (UK) »

I am a bit puzzled by all this. I was originally curious about the uniform as I was under the impresssion the photo was taken around 1920/21 and as far as I am aware, he wasn't in the army then. He joined up for WW1 but he was found to be under age before he was posted abroad. I'm not aware of him joining up after that.

I have two more photos which I will try to attach. The one of his head was taken by a photographer at the Curragh Camp, which I assume is as far as he got before being sussed. The other, I presume was taken about the same time-however others may know different.

The big question is-were they all taken about the same time?

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
 Hi

I've just come across some scraps of paper and one of them makes a reference to 'Welsh Battallion',  during WW1, I think.

Looks like you guessed right. But, the date on the back of the photo will probably remain a mystery.

Thanks for the interest, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 20:47 BST (UK) »
Could you post a scan of the date on the back so we can see what we make of it. Many eyes make for better results.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 June 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
 Hi John.

I've been looking at some other old stuff and I've come to the conclusion that the writing on the back of the photo was done by his mother. I suspect she did this when she gave the photo to his son, her grandson.

Looking at it this way, I've been looking at it from the wrong angle :-[

Pretty certain then, that it was taken in WW1, but still surprised by the corporal's stripe on his arm, as he was definately under age and only in for a few months.

One of life's mysterys.

Thanks again, Eric.