Author Topic: Stoat Stote Stott?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Stoat Stote Stott?
« on: Friday 18 May 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello.
I have used ScotlandsPeople to track the origin of a deep ancestor who may have come from Kincardineshire. 
Christian/Christien/Cristian Stoat/Stote/Stott married a Richard Kemp but i don't know where.  There is a Devon record but for 1710 but advice is that it is not mine.  My Kemp family as far as i can track back is in Wiltshire, around Leverton/Hungerford/Chilton Foliat.  Richard and Christian had JOHN my direct ancestor in Berks/Wilts in 1715.  I believe he had two older sibs, boy and girl, then there were two more.  I have the direct line from John.  He married Elizabeth Garrard c1748 and they had a son William, born 1857 which is my line.
Would you have any advice/info on Christian/Cristian please?  I think she was born c1676 in Kinneff and Catterline to William and Margaret (nee Neaper) Stott.
Regards
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stoat Stote Stott?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, Julie: LDS site (familysearch.org) shows 2 records:  Chrian Stote, christened 17 April 1673, Kinneff and Catterline (father Wm. Stote) and a Christian Stot, christened 20 August 1676, Kinneff and Catterline (father Wm. Stot).  I think this may be your ancestor.  Obviously the first daughter died.  I also found that there was a David Stott, christened 3 April 1681 and an Alexander Stott, christened 9 December 1686, with the parents William Stott and Margaret Neper, but those christenings were in Montrose; these may or may not be the same family. 

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have any indication of a Scottish origin for your Stott? It is a very long way from the north east of Scotland to Wiltshire. Without some piece of evidence for a Scottish origin in an English record, it is perhaps not very likely. As you know, very many baptisms and marriages were not recorded or the record has been lost.

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for that.
I have come across 'lydiaann' that material but as 'GR2' says, i have decided to discount the Scottish origins for my Christien.  I thought of all the turmoil of the times and thought well maybe Richard met her up there whilst he was fighting for England!  But then i thought that might be fanciful - not that i'm not often fanciful! Sadly i think i now opt for the record as just not being available now.
Kind regards
jk22
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales