Author Topic: Look Up Parish Register for SPROTT  (Read 3367 times)

Offline bmckenz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up Parish Register for SPROTT
« on: Sunday 20 May 12 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Hoping someone can look up some SPROTT's for me please? I have Mary SPROTT b.circa 1827 in Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire. She married Joseph BERRY (date and place unknown) and immigrated with him on 'Bermonsey' to Twofold Bay Australia. She died in Merimbula, Australia in 1917 aged 88.  Her parents names are listed as George and Janet SPROTT on her immigration records, they are listed as Presb and both living when she departed in 1848.I would love to be able to confirm dates of birth for Mary, maiden name of her mother, marriage of parents etc

Also interested in the name itself- does anyone know what it means, origins etc?

Thanks in advance for considering this request :)
regards

Barbra

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up Parish Register for SPROTT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
I have been unable to find Mary/George/Janet in the 1841 Census.
Could it be SPROUL?
(havent looked on Census for that yet)

Marriage, IGI Extracted;
James BERRY
Mary SPROUL
06 August 1848, Gorbals, Lanarkshire, Scotland

The Bermondsey left London 29 August 1848.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bmckenz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up Parish Register for SPROTT
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks for looking and anything is possible although the embarkation documents for Mary lists her parents as SPROTT, but this could be a writing error of course. I know that the names SPROTT/SPROAT/SPROT are variations of the same name.

I'd appreciate it if you'd check the census- tried to do that from here using the Wigtownshire pages but didn't get very far.

I had seen the IGI record you found but bar any other corroborating evidence- can't be sure about this. Although it does fit, Joseph was from Lancashire and this was a Bounty ship organised by Benjamin Boyd of Twofold Bay to bring out workers/farm labourers for his land there. When the ship arrived Boyd had been declared missing on board the 'Seahorse' (I think) and so his brother William Sprott Boyd took over.

Perhaps Mary and Joseph married before travelling for financial reasons? Or because married couples were preferred. I'd appreciate any information you could find.
regards

Barbra