Author Topic: Motley's of Lincolnshire, England  (Read 8363 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Motley's of Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Wondered where you were  ;D

Well done that's more like it.
There are lots of trees on Anc* giving marriage in Bristol to Sarah Cutler and a year of birth for Sarah as 1720 (10 years before James) it looks like the usual case of thinking all English BMD's are on the IGI/familysearch and the trees are being copied without verifying.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
What I have from the census records and from marriage banns are as follows:
William Motley born about 1801, marrried Rebecca Wales May 21, 1833 in Kirton, Holland, Lincolnshire, England.  William Motley is the son of William Motley (b. 1776 and d. 1871) and Mary Bee (d. before 1836 because William remarried that year.)  Mary Bee is the daughter of Sarah Bee.  William Motley is the son of James Motley and Sarah Cutler.  James Motley born December 27, 1730, married Sarah Cutler August 11, 1752 and died in 1783.  I have Sarah Cutler as being born in 1720 from the census records at Family Search.  The dates and information that I have on the William's is what I know for certain as that is in the family bible that was passed down to me.  William's father, William gave him the bible when he left England for the USA.  I don't know what you mean by IGI?

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Sarah Wetherhog born in 1723, that would make her 53 years old when she had William in 1776.
I guess that is possible, but a little out there.  53 is rather old, even now, to have a child.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:46 BST (UK) »
I have Sarah Cutler as being born in 1720 from the census records at Family Search. 

Not from a census ... the first census available to us is 1841 by which time she would have been quite old.

The IGI (International Genealogical Index) is to be found on the Family Search website.

It contains some records which are extracted (copied) from parish registers and, generally, are reliable.

Some records are submitted "by a member of the LDS Church" and range in worth from "100% reliable" to "100% fabricated".

You've said yourself that your "facts" involve someone giving birth aged 56, so perhaps your starting point for this person is unreliable.  Finding something on the internet and accepting it as fact will get you all sorts of problems.

Instead of grabbing at the first "fact" you come across, read through this thread and see if the things we have found could actually be correct.  Unfortunately, although I refer to a 1753 marriage, the Scamblesby marriage register which is online begins at 1754 so I cannot substantiate this fact. :(

The Sarah WEATHERHOG baptism you are disputing was actually 1732, not 1723. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 May 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
You may note that the first daughter of James and Sarah was called Elizabeth ... the same name as the mother of the Sarah WEATHERHOG who was bap in 1732.  Naming first daughter after the bride's mother is a common though not infallible clue.  There was also a son called George, the name of the father of Sarah WEATHERHOG.

A George WHETHERHOG married an Elizabeth SMITH at Belchford 1 May 1722

You will find that marriage about 12 lines from the bottom of the right hand page here - registers in those days were not often very helpful :) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=558800&iid=46431

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 May 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
William Motley, born about 1801 married Rebecca Wales (parents John Addison and Rebekah Wales) on May 21, 1833 Kirton in Holland Parish Records.  William Motley is the son of William Motley, born 1776, Donington, Lincolnshire, England, and Mary Bee.  Mary Bee was born 31 July 1799 Kirton in Holland, Lincolnshire, England.  This much I have documentation for, the bible and from the Lincolnshire Records - National Archives, Family Search, etc...  Somewhere, and I am sorry I really don't remember, I have that William's parents were James Motley and Sarah Cutler.  James Motley being born December 27, 1730, he would have been 46 when William was born.  Sarah's last name is not listed, but she is on Ancestry.com all over the place.  When I see something repeated that much, seems reasonable that that would be correct.  But, I really don't know.  The last name is Motley.  I am 100% certain of that. ;)

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 May 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Is it Whetherhog or Weatherhog?  Any way to know for sure?  Sarah would have been 44 when whe had William, that is much more possible.  I am very grateful for the help, I have been ripping my hair out over this.  William Motley, born about 1801, is my g-great grandfather.  His son, Charles is my great-grandfather.  Trying to get a family ancestry to leave for the family.  Your help is most sincerely appreciated.  :D

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 May 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
I looked at the register that you sent, (about 12 lines from the bottom, right) and I can't find James, Sarah or any mention of a Motley??? ???
OOOPS, you meant George Whetherhog and Elizabeth Smith.  Sorry. :-[

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 May 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Is it Whetherhog or Weatherhog?

I can't answer that.  :-\

... but I can add that there are said to be six surviving signatures of the man we know of as William SHAKESPEARE.

Each of them has a different spelling and none of them is spelt SHAKESPEARE!  If the great man didn't know - or didn't care - about the "correct" spelling, what hope is there for the rest of us? :)