Author Topic: step relationships  (Read 1454 times)

Offline madpips

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
step relationships
« on: Monday 21 May 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 My Son has just got married, and my husband is his stepdad (although he dosent call him that). My in-laws asked what relation our Daughter-in-law would be to them, and i said Granddaughter as they call my Son their Grandson, they said not. If my Son is their Step Grandson, then she must be their Step Granddaughter, but as we dont refer to being Step whatever they should call her Granddaughter. I know its a bit confusing  ???, but my Son has always called them Nan and Grandad. Hope someone can clarify this.

Many Thanks
                    Maxine
Redman-Kent/Staffs. Hibell- Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Staffs. Ible-Gloucestershire/Herefordshire. Barnes-Staffs. Berrisford-Staffs/Derbyshire. Fowell- Staffs/Cheadle. Salt-Derbyshire/Staffs/Cheadle. Morris- Staffs/Cheadle. Oakley-Staffs. Smallwood-Staffs. Powell-Staffs. Perry-Staffs. Snow-Derbyshire. Leaver-Kent. Seckerson Staffs. Moore-Staffs/Cheshire. Masterson- Staffs/ Liverpool/Ireland. Obrien-Ireland. Davies-Flintshire. Huggins-Gloucestershire. Dixon-Bradley-Howland-Cornelius-Callis/Kent

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: step relationships
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
Why don't they just call her by her name, or else name plus wife of your son.

Lizzie

ps.  When my grandsons marry, I won't think of their wives as my grandchildren, just their wife.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
Legacy family history software says there is no relationship between grandson's wife and his grandparents (even without the 'step')

I'm with Lizzie.  Suggest they refer to her as 'grandson xxx's wife, yyy'

But I think what the in-laws are really asking is what the new wife should call them??  This is open to negotiation - suggest you let them sort it out for themselves!   :o ::)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
According to Stephen Morse relationship calculator they are your daughter-in-law's step-grandparent but there is no relationship going the other way, but if your son has always called them Nan and Grandad then it seems a bit hurtful to be questioning this now.  Will they be this picky if/when your son and daughter-in-law have children or are they just being curious?

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile