Author Topic: MacDiarmids to Georgia - help please  (Read 12114 times)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
Re: MacDiarmids to Georgia - help please
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 02:17 BST (UK) »
I posted on the Inverness board to see if anyone can give us some help regarding the Morrisons. We haven't had anyone respond on the Inverness-shire thread though we have had 29 interested readers so far.  ;)

In order to keep things connected, here's the link.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,603928.0.html

In the meantime abar44, I think you may have more on the the Morrisons in the Oakland cemetery plot than I do. I quit looking after I figured out my MacDiarmids were there except mother Effie ;) so never determined if there was a family relationship between Effie & the other Morrisons.

Have you searched any census records for John E. Morrison & his wife Mary Margaret Knapp Morrison to see where each was born? Also, do you have anything to indicate what the relationship was between John E Morrison & A. Morrison Jr?

Do you have birth & death dates for any of these three?

Finally, do you know if either John E Morrison or A. Morrison Jr. had a daughter. (I was wondering if the Anna M. Travis in the Morrison plot might be a daughter to one of them.)

MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi abar44

I've had some good finds today!

Can you please provide the birth & death dates for J.E. Morrison & A.Morrison Jr.? I'm reasonably sure that they are brothers to the mother (Effie) of my three MacDiarmid boys who in the Morrison cemetery plot.

I'm going to see if J.E & Angus Jr came into North America through Canada as it is unlikley they went directly to the USA during the American Civil War (1860-1865).

To that end, do you know if J.E. Morrison married your Mary Margaret Knapp in Canada following her family's arrival here & before the Knapp family left for sunnier climates in the south?  Also, just so I'm clear, was she daughter Frederic Addington Knapp and his wife Amy of Bodmin, Cornwall?

It has been a good day. :)

Offline abar44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 02:53 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that all I know of the Morrisons is what I have from Oakland Cemetery and some marginal notes in a Knapp family history.

My Aunt May, Mary Margaret Knapp Morrison, married Uncle John Morrison in Atlanta, I'm sure.  All the information I have is his death, at age 65 October 26, 1938.  He would have been a bit older than my Aunt May who died September 2, 1965 at age 84.  Other than remembering tales of Uncle John Morrison, we have nothing in writing.  I do recall, however, reading somewhere that she was widowed after 28 years of marriage.  They had no children.

There is an elder John and a younger one as well buried at Oakland.  John E. seems to fit my Aunt May's time if he was a bit older than she.  The Morrisons were in the hardware business in Atlanta as was her father and her maternal grandfather.
Aunt May was the daughter of Reginald Herbert Knapp who was born in Truro, I think, and who came to Canada with his parents and siblings.  He subsequently came south following his love.  I have not looked at the timeline such as we have lately, but I think that was immediately before the beginning of the War.  Aunt May was born in Atlanta and I doubt she ever visited Canada.  Her older sister Jay Spencer Knapp did however, visiting the family residence.  Spencer, in fact, sold the house at 98 Huntley Street, Toronto, about 1926 when the last surviving Knapp passed away.

Once again, I need to get my details together so I can answer with assurance.  I also need to spell out what I do know of Reginald Herbert's siblings who did not come south to be able to make a meaningful post.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 03:17 BST (UK) »
Perfect. That's very helpful.  :)

I now know that at least one of Effie's brothers, John, died in Georgia. ;)

I've found a 1900 census with a father John Morrison who is the right age to be Effie's brother who has a son named Angus Jr & a daughter named Anna. I don't know if they are a fit for this family yet, but thought that Anna might be your Anna Travis. ???

John E Morrison married to Mary Margaret Knapp could be Effie's nephew. I followed he and Mary Margaret in Atlanta directories up to 1938 which corresponds with your info re his death.

I'll continue working on it in the morning & let you know where it leads.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi abar44

Do you happen to have a site map for the entire Morrison plot in Oakland Cemetery - or does anyone know where I can access that on-line. (I'd like the map, not just the *A* transcripts so I can ensure the names on the transcripts are co-located in the Morrison plot & not in some other area of the cemetery. ;))

Alternatively abar44, do you have photos of all the Morrison stones in the family plot?

I have one page of the Oakland Cemetery map noted as Block 345, Lot 1&2, purchased 24 Jan 1878 that includes:

Mary Knapp Morrison
Donald John MacDiarmid
John MacDiarmid
Angus MacDiarmid
Jane Davidson Kendrick
Frederick William Hardin

I think that the cemetery transcript for John Morrison (d.2 Oct 1905) is uncle to the MacDiarmid boys & brother to their mother, Effie. His first wife, Marion MacLean (1837-1881) appears to be there too. I need to double check to see if they are in the Morrison plot to be sure.

Offline abar44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
The attachment to my post of June 25 includes 2 pages of the Morrison plot plan from Oakland Cemetery.  You are evidently looking at the second page only.  I can send it directly if you like.

The only image I have of a Morrison monument is in the background of John Knapp Jr's monument found at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=knapp&GSfn=john&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=12&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=58117324&df=all&

It is my intention to seek images of the Morrison monuments at Oakland but I haven't done so yet.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
I think we've just about wrapped this one up.

I totally missed that attachment in the June 25 post on RootsChat. Now lots more makes sense. (I also totally forgot about Find-A-Grave as it's next to empty when it comes to searching in Canada, and particularly so in western Canada. I will be visiting there to see what I can see.)

In the event anyone else comes searching one day, here is a quick summary.

We don't know why the Morrisons would have gone to Georgia when most from North Uist were heading to Australia or Canada. Perhaps we'll never know.

We know emigration occurred before 1878 as that was when the Morrison burial plot was purchased. I also suspect that it was either John E Morrison's father or John E Morrison's uncle Angus that my Angus MacDiarmid worked for when he arrived in Georgia 1872.

The burial plot in Oakland Cemetery was purchased in 1878 by John Morrison (m. Marion Morrison nee MacLean) & his brother Angus Morrison (doesn't appear to have married). All were born on North Uist.

As John & Marion married in 1867 & daughter Ann wasn't born until 1878, I suspect there were a few other children in addition to Angus Jr. and John E.  I suspect that Marion died following childbirth of John E. though I'm trying to double check that with a death certificate.

Darn that burned 1890 census as it may have shown more children for John & Marion, though perhaps not as they don't seem to appear in the Morrison burial plot. Perhaps I can try find the family in 1880.

The 1900 census incorrectly lists John as having been born in Georgia (so doesn't give a hint as to the year of emigration) with parents dying in Scotland. John Morrison, appears in the 1900 census with Ann, Angus Jr, & John E.

John E. Morrison married Mary Margaret "May" Knapp.

John & Angus' sister Effie shows up in Georgia in 1883 after her husband Alexander MacDiarmid dies on Benbecula in 1869. She has a monument in her honour on North Uist dated 1905, though there is no confirmation that she died in Scotland. There is a family letter that indicates that she went home to Scotland, but it could have confused the headstone in Scotland with a burial. The last public record of Effie is the 1900 census in Shake Rag, Fayette County, Georgia with her son Angus.

Effie comes to the USA to connect with her 2nd eldest son, Angus who came in 1872. She brings her eldest daughter Margaret "Peggy" who is married to a MacDonald. That couple have three children in the USA before returning to Benbecula where they appear in the 1891 census. Effie also brings sons: Archie, Donald John & John. Archie returns home abt 1894 & dies of TB in 1895. Donald John commits suicide in 1920, John dies of a heart attack on a train in Florida in 1921, and Angus dies a week after returning from a trip to Scotland in 1921.

I strongly suspect that Ann Travis is daughter of John Morrison & Marion MacLean.

I strongly suspect that Angus Jr. is the Angus Morrison in the burial plot who died in 1927.

In the meantime, Effie's eldest son, Donald, comes to Canada in 1883, dying in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1937. He married Jane MacDonald (d. 1949 Earlswood District, Saskatchewan), do. Roderick MacDonald (1828 South Uist-1909 Earlswood District, Saskatchewan) & Mary MacRury (b. Benbecula - d.1927 Earlswood District, Saskatchewan). Donald & Jane had 12 children.

Effie also had daughters Ann & Mary, both of who remained in Scotland, married & had children.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 28 June 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
To make the Oakland Cemetery record a wee bit clearer:

Angus Morrison (in plot 3 who died 1 Feb 1923) was married to Matilda C ? (from Virginia in plot 2 who died 12 Apr 1900). The couple had daughter Sallie A Morrison (in plot 1 who died 20 May 1944).

Daughter Sallie does not appear to have married or to have had children.

Offline Rhona Nicholson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 04 January 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Hope this message reaches you.  I have read your posts about the MacDiarmid's with great interest.

Ann MacDiarmid was my great grandmother.  I personally don't have much information but my father does and has some photos.

I was amazed when I saw the photo you posted of her brother, John.  He is the absolute image of my son, also named John.

If you can get in touch please do and I can pass you what information I have as we are most likely related.

Rhona