Author Topic: Scotland & Muirhead in Auld Kirk, Kirkintilloch (burial/grave markers)  (Read 8159 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Scotland & Muirhead in Auld Kirk, Kirkintilloch (burial/grave markers)
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
This is my first post here so I apologise if I get anything wrong or have posted in the wrong place.

I'm trying to look for records or references to the burial places of one William Scotland and his wife, Catherine Muirhead. According to my great-aunt's research (done some twenty or so years ago), William Scotland's family originally came from Kincardine-on-forth, while Catherine Muirhead was from Dennyloanhead. I don't have any dates for either of them so I'm hoping to at least a general period for when they were alive so I can try and trace their families. The first descendant of theirs I have dates for is a great-grandson, James Alexander, born 1869 - he later moved to Ireland but there's a chance he was born in Scotland.

My great-aunt's notes mention that the pair moved to Kirkintilloch and were buried "in a churchyard 'The Auld Kirk', really St. Mary's est 1644. It is now a museum. The flat stone is there to see."

I haven't been able to find an index online of burials or inscriptions for Auld Kirk (or St Mary's) or Old Aisle (as I've been told some people continued to be buried there after the new church was built). I did find reference to 'Mitchell, John Fowler & Sheila, Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) in
Dunbartonshire' but I've been unable to find it anywhere, for sale or library loan.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland and Muirhead in Auld Kirk, Kirkintilloch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi hiraethu

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

A real hands up to work off other people's genealogy research notes but it does present other challenges!

There are these children showing on IGI to parents as you have, William Scotland and Catherine Muirhead - all in Kirkintilloch Dunbarton:

1. Thomas SCOTLAND b. 21 JUL 1814
2. Marrian SCOTLAND b. 22 DEC 1815
3. John SCOTLAND b. 29 JUL 1818
4. James SCOTLAND chr. 15 JUL 1821
5. Elizabeth SCOTLAND chr.  26 MAY 1823

Their marriage (or banns) show on 2 January 1814 in Tulliallan, Perth.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Oh wow!

Thank you for the welcome, quick response, and the wonderful information. I'm still fairly new when it comes to genealogy but I've learnt my lesson when it comes to instantly thinking everything is a match (it's certainly messed things up in the past).

However it does look good to start with, as I'm already aware of two children from William and Catherine, Thomas and Marion (my direct ancestor), and the other names do seem to match that family's later naming habits!

That'll be added to the shoebox for some cross-referencing, so thank you very much! I'm afraid to show my amateur status, but how do you access the IGI?
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
IGI stands for the International Genealogical Index available to search for free here www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

I did what is called a 'parent search', putting in parents' names on the right and then British Isles/Scotland along the bottom. Brings up children for a couple(s) with the names you have searched for.

Have you got an occupation for William Scotland from one of their children's registrations (marriage or death certs for example)?

I saw this 1841 census entry and thought it might he William with wife Catherine perhaps having died by then:

William Scotland 50, spirit dealer b. Scotland
Elizabeth Scotland 15
George Lumsden 8

Address: Eastside St, Kirkintilloch

Monica

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I'll have to give that a look over tomorrow. I was quite into my family tree some years ago but real life took over and only in the past week did I pick it up again, so I've forgotten a lot of my other resources.

Unfortunately I don't know much about that side of the family until I get to their great-grandson, James. I have a photograph of Marion Scotland's daughter but still not even a birth date! Though I can't honestly say I've given them too much focus, my attention usually with the Isle of Man and closer Irish ancestors.

But thank you for the help and the pointers! I'll probably start focusing on my Scottish family to start with, so no doubt I'll be back here at some point begging for more help ^_^

I hope it's okay to leave this thread open to see if anyone can help with the grave marker situation?

Thank you again!

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hopefully someone can add to the burial details  :)

Monica

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland & Muirhead in Auld Kirk, Kirkintilloch (burial/grave markers)
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 May 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Well your great aunt did well.  The only death recorded pre 1855 is John, he died 10 Sep 1826. Elizabeth died in 1886 she was married to John Goodwin. I have quite few others in this family.  If you send me a PM with your email address I'll email you what I have.  Btw Monica meant to type Tulliallan Fife not Perth.  Scotland's were from Tulliallan many interred there http://www.rocinante.demon.co.uk/klhg/tullkirk/tullindx.htm  I could never confirm Catherine's birthplace.

Don M
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 May 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi DonM

The marriage that Monica found has Tulliallan Perth(shire)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY3P-QNR

"In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tulliallan like this:

Tulliallan, par., in detached part of Perthshire, on river Forth, 3586 ac., pop. 2207; contains Kincardine; Tulliallan Castle, seat of Lord William Osborne, is near Kincardine, and 4½ miles SE. of Alloa"

"A vision of Britain through time"

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Wow, the help just keeps on coming! I should have joined here a long time ago.

Hi DonM and thanks for that, I'll send you my email address now. I thought my great-aunt did really great as well, but turns out my dad thinks she just hired someone to research their side of the family. Still, can't complain for having such a great base to start with, when my poor Welsh side is struggling to get past the great-grandparents!

and hi Ev! Honestly all I know about the Scotlands is that they came from Kincardine-on-Forth, but I'm used to towns moving back and forth between counties and the like over the years, so thanks for the input!