Author Topic: McColes of Templecrone/Roshine Acres  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Darancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McColes of Templecrone/Roshine Acres
« on: Thursday 24 May 12 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your interest.  My cousins and I have recently begun an investigation of our McCole ancestors in Donegal.

My great grandfather is Charles McCole (1890 - 1952), and he came to America in 1913 and raised his family in Bayonne, New Jersey.  He had a son Charles and three daughters, Cathrin, Mary and Nellie, my grandmother.

My great grandfather is a son of James McCole (born circa 1852) and Ellen O'Donnell (born circa 1845) of Leckenagh (in 1901) and Cruickagmore (in 1911).

His father James in turn is a son of Charles McCole (born circa 1819) and Fanny Gallagher (born circa 1824) of Roshin Acres.  Please forgive my spelling of placenames.

I have managed to track down the grave of my great grandfather's brother and sister, John and Ellen McCole, in St Mary's Belcruit, but I have not been terribly successful in tracking the family's origins except via the available census schedules and Griffith's valuation which refers to the family in Roshin Acres as M'Coll.

I wonder if anyone can help with any of the following questions:

1.  Might anyone know if the McCole families favored any particular cemetery for burials.  Although my great grand aunt and uncle were buried together in St. Mary's Belcruit, I could not find the prior generations there.

2.  Might anyone know the names of any of the parents or siblings of Charles McCole of Roshin Acres?

3.  Might anyone know the names of any of the parents or siblings of Fanny Gallagher or their original town lands?

4. Might anyone know the names of any of the parents or siblings of Ellen O'Donnell or their original town lands?

Apologies for the length of this post, but any information would be cherished.

Cheers

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McColes of Templecrone/Roshine Acres
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

come down the page and type in the search box - McCole or Lechenagh (Charles McCole age 11 in 1911)
or type in cruickagmore

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
sorry 1901 charles was 11.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.ellisisland.org

Charles McCole aged 22 arrived in USA 2.6.1913 on the ship California
from Burtonport Ireland

Burtonport is mention on the site I gave you Charles 11 in 1901.

Offline Darancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 May 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks rathmore for your help.  I surprisingly managed to find those sources, but again I am grateful for your attention.  I have found that tracking the earlier generations is quite difficult especially since it appears many families followed the typical naming patterns.  As a result I have too many Charles, Fannys and Ellens to be able to distinguish their origins.

Cheers