Author Topic: Lindegreen / Clyde River Shipping Co.  (Read 4029 times)

Offline alivicwil

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Lindegreen / Clyde River Shipping Co.
« on: Monday 28 June 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My name's Alisa.  I'm Australian.  My mum's parents, however, came from Port Glasgow.  I'm trying to find out a little more about them, but really have no idea where to start.  Can anyone offer suggestions?

Also, I believe that my great-grandfather worked for the Clyde River Shipping Company, though I can find no evidence that a company of that name exsited.  How can I check that out?  The story goes that he was iced-in in Russia during the revolution, and kept a diary, which the Company bought from him on his return.  I would love to find out what happened to that diary.

Thanks!

Offline JillW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Lindegreen / Clyde River Shipping Co.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 04 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alisa,
My name is Jill and I live in South Bend, Indiana, USA.  I came across your mention of the name Lindegreen. I'm looking for more information about my grandparents that came from Port Glasgow.  They were John and Margaret LINDEGREEN  and he was a draftsman with a shipping company.  They immigrated to Philadelphia, PA sometime in the early 1900s. My mother died recently and didn't know much about what happened to the rest of his family except that he had 3 brothers and 1 sister, Archibald, David, Thomas, and Elizabeth (Bessie) and his father was also John and his mother was Margaret Taylor.  My mom was usure if the brothers ever married but remembered that one was a sailor or merchant marine that once visited the US.  Does any of this match up with your info? Thanks, Jill

Offline alivicwil2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lindegreen
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 05 02:23 BST (UK) »
Jill!!!
I completely forgot about my post here.
My mum googled her maiden name (elizabeth lindegreen) last night, and discovered it.
You're profile says that you still visit here... I hope you see this.

We are related - you and my mum are 2nd cousins (I think).

I am decensed from Thomas Henry Lindegreen.  He was in the Merchant Navy.  It's likely that he went to the US... Family lore says he was iced-in in Russia, and we have some sets of teapots that he brought back from Japan.  He is buried in Argentina, in a Commonwealth War Grave.  Again, lore says he was wounded during the Battle of the River Plate (with the Graf Spee), but he didn't die until August 1940, and I haven't been able to verify this.
Two of the brothers, David and William (who you haven't mentioned) served in WWI.

I know that your grandad, John, was born in 1884 in Gorbals, Lanarkshire - he had a younger sister Mary (1857-1872).

His (and my Thomas Henry's) parents were John Lindegreen and Margaret (Maggie) Taylor Main.  John b.28/08/1855 in Port Glasgow.  Married 10/04/1879 in West Parish, Greenock.  Died in 1932, Port Glasgow.  occupation Coal Agent's Clerk.
Maggie: b.1856. Died 13/10/1937 in Port Glasgow.

this John Lindegreen's parents were: Archibald Lindegreen b.circa1818 in Greenock. d.10/03/1902 in Port Glasgow.  Occupation Master Mariner.
Ann Clanson (or possibly Clauson... Am pretty confident it's Clanson) b. c1819, d.1889 in Port Glasgow.

That's as far back as I can go, from Australia... 
My grandfather, James Lambie Lindegreen (only child of Thomas Henry) immigrated here in in 1951 with his pregnant wife, and their son.  My mum was born not long after they arrived in Victoria.  They moved to Broken Hill in New South Wales the following year.

I have some details on the partners of Elizabeth (Bessie), William and David, and heaps of info on Thomas Henry's wife's family.

I've just realised I haven't given you any dates for your grandfather's siblings...  I wont' forget about RootsChat this time.  I will get back to you soon with those.
(oh - seeing as I'm Aussie, all the dates I gave you are formatted dd/mm/yyyy.)
I'm on GenesReunited (uk).   my (our)  tree is up there.  the only other family of lindegreens on there are from NZ, and haven't replied to my posts... (Give them almost a year, like I took.  Sorry about that, again.)
I found a lot of info from Scottish Census records... in the national archives scotland site, I think.  I can email you those, if you like.

I would love any info you could give me about your branch of the tree - your grandmother's details, when they were married.  Your mum, and any siblings.
I'd love to be able to fill in the Lindegreens a little more...

I hope to hear from you soon, Jill.

I'm so excited.  And so sorry I didn't response last July!

Alisa.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Lindegreen, Lambie, Dorahy, Williams(!!)
Port Glasgow, Ireland, New Zealand

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lindegreen / Clyde River Shipping Co.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 23:16 BST (UK) »
When I was at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow earlier this year, I was given a very old book to look at by the archavist in archive room.  The spine was gone and it was held together by tape or ribbon - pink I think.

Inside was a list of all the shipyards on the Clyde (possibly Scotland) which I decided not to stay and look at as I only had a few minutes to spare at that time.

If you are still looking for information on the Clyde River Shipping Co., you could try e-mailing the Mitchell Library as they have a vast amount of shipping information.  Glasgow University - Naval Architecture Department holds a lot of infomation too.

I hope to be at the Mitchell again next week, and if I remember, I will  look up to Co. in the little old book.
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus