Author Topic: Link: Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon  (Read 90572 times)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
« Reply #126 on: Monday 12 August 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
Assuming you have the necessary GRO index references for this marriage and you don't want to spend over 4 times the amount at Belfast (for a fancier certificate with the price of the certificate £15.00 emblazoned upon it!), why order from Belfast? Order from Roscommon.

Do bear in mind that in 1911 the GRO for the whole of ireland was in Dublin, it wasn't until after partition in 1922, when Northern ireland came into being, that a separate GRO to cover Northern Ireland was established.

I have been ordering certificates from Dublin & Roscommon by fax and credit card since 2003 without any credit card issues; although I do have card (with a low limit, just in case) that I use for on line purchases.

Hope this helps.

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Monday 12 August 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Assuming you have the necessary GRO index references for this marriage and you don't want to spend over 4 times the amount at Belfast (for a fancier certificate with the price of the certificate £15.00 emblazoned upon it!), why order from Belfast? Order from Roscommon.

Do bear in mind that in 1911 the GRO for the whole of ireland was in Dublin, it wasn't until after partition in 1922, when Northern ireland came into being, that a separate GRO to cover Northern Ireland was established.

I have been ordering certificates from Dublin & Roscommon by fax and credit card since 2003 without any credit card issues; although I do have card (with a low limit, just in case) that I use for on line purchases.

Hope this helps.

H

Thanks very much for that. So ordering from Roscommon you can get just a photocopy which is cheaper and you can't do that from Belfast? Otherwise fancier certs are about the same cost from either source?
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Monday 12 August 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Correct on both counts.

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Monday 12 August 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Phildude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Thursday 19 September 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
Summary of how to order certs :

1. download the order form from the GRO website and print it out
2. fill in your address and credit card details on the form
3. on a separate sheet put the references of the certs you require, and also mention you require research certs.
4. post the order to GRO Head Office in Roscommon

The form will not download, any suggestions.?

Full civil registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths started in Ireland in 1864. In addition non-Catholic marriages were registered between 1845 and 1863. An online index to these is available on the Irish Civil Index on familysearch.

You can search the registrations for all Ireland up to 1922, and for Republic of Ireland up to 1958.

Certs are available by post from the GRO. Download the order form from the GRO website - see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm 

Ignore the extra details on the form, e.g. R.S.I. number, and just enter your own name, address and credit card information, plus the following details for each cert you require :

Name
 Record Type (e.g. Birth)
 Registration District
 Year/quarter (*)
 Volume No.
 Page No.

* Prior to 1878 only the year is available on the index. The other details listed on the FamilySearch index (film, image no. etc) are LDS internal references, and not required by the GRO.

You can attach a separate sheet of paper with the references mentioned above. Make sure to mention that you require 'Research Certs'. Once you give the correct references, each cert should only cost €4.

A research cert, is a photocopy/scan of the original register. Certs may also be ordered and collected (up to 5 per person, per day) from the GRO research room in Dublin.

(Important Note - the online HSE service mentioned on the GRO website is designed for more recent certs, and only covers restricted dates, and doesn't provide the facility to specify the BMD Index details )

see the topic Tips for searching Irish BMD civil registrations for advice on searching the index.

see this link at Connors Genealogy for a map of the registration districts 

(Note : The rest of this thread is just discussion on the process described above)

(26/03/2013 updated)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 19 September 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
If the form won't download, then the solution is to put the same information in a letter. They will accept that quite happily, provided all the payment information is there too.
Elwyn

Offline Phildude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 19 September 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
If the form won't download, then the solution is to put the same information in a letter. They will accept that quite happily, provided all the payment information is there too.
Thats great thank you.

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
For Phildude/or Anyone else

If you would like to send me a PM with your email address I can forward a copy of the 'modified' GRO Word document that I have been using for the last 10 or so years (updated so that I can have delivery by email).

H

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Monday 21 October 13 13:06 BST (UK) »
Faxed my request for 5 certificates (Mixture of Birth and death) on Friday 11th requesting that they be emailed and got them in my inbox this morning (21st). Only 6 working days. Well pleased. I may well be spending a small fortune before Christmas. Thanks for the tip HugoBeauchamp
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.