Author Topic: Complete  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Aragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Ann james
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
John & William have no father's name on certificates they were given mothers maiden name / baptismal of John James is Ann's father / marriage of Ann is word of mouth from family.

This may or may not help.

Regards

Aragon

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does help in that it shows you have birth certificates for the sons.   If there is no father named they are illegitimate.   The other post from last year that I gave the link to earlier shows a possible marriage and family in 1881.  Have you discounted that?
What name are the boys under in 1911?   Where were they living?  Please give us as much information as you can.    We are struggling otherwise. 
Andrea

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
At first you said all you knew was Ann name and her father was John.  It now transpires that you have the names of her two sons, also their birth certificates, that you have traced her in the 1851 census and the 1911 census and know where she was living (census info).  Anything, absolutely anything, that helps narrow down the field of research is helpful.  Is there anything else that you have not disclosed.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
She wasnt married on the 1871 census, which I found on the familysearch site.  Can't find her on the 1911 census (free to search, dont have any access to full 1911 census) not as James anyway, but her sons appear to be living in Cockermouth.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V51T-M7M

Daughter Ann James F 21  Sunderland, Cumberland
Grandson William James M 3  Sunderland, Cumberland
Grandson John James M 1 Sunderland, Cumberland
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to identify where the wedding of the Ann James who married James Wilson in the Whitehaven Registration District (Dec. 1873) took place by any chance? This could be the key piece of evidence for Aragon's enquiry which began this particular thread.

The reasoning for this is based on some deductions that may not work out when followed through. But, it may be worth a try if only to eliminate a line of enquiry. Possibly someone who has access the marriage records from those years may be able to help Aragon out with this one. The marriage may have been at Cleator or Cleator Moor rather than Whitehaven if it was a church wedding. 

At the time of the 1881 census, this couple and their family appear to be living at Leconfield Street, Cleator Moor (in the part of Cleator Moor sometimes referred to as 'Coglety'). Among the children of James and Ann Wilson are two sons - William and John.

At first glance, and from the ages of the children recorded on the census it would appear William and John are the sons of James Wilson from an earlier marriage. That would mean Ann Wilson (nee James) was their stepmother. Yet, what if this William and John were actually sons of Ann James before she married James Wilson?

There must be many cases where a census record is not 100% correct. Could this be one of them? If this is the correct family, then when William and John left home themselves - and presumably got married - they would have reverted back to their true surname (James).

Aragon has set an interesting puzzle. Hopefully the truth can be determined - it should be out there somewhere! 

(Photographs of Leconfield Street, Cleator Moor posted below).

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Photograph of Leconfield Street, Cleator Moor ('The Dip') (1)

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Leconfield Street, Cleator Moor (2)