Author Topic: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710  (Read 21436 times)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 02 June 12 02:16 BST (UK) »
re 'Irish' workers . I dont think there would have been many Irish in Yorks at this time , Irish migrants came over more in the mid to late 1800s. . . . . . . . . re 'poachers and the assault by Thomas , his wife and the other chap  . Maybe all four of them were poachers/criminals and thats why they got off with it so lightly . Dukes up  over some swag :)  Might even be related to each  in some way.

[

Maybe not, but researching my ancestors in Lincolnshire (next county) I found there have been Irish Labourers coming into the county to work in agriculture since the 17th century at least. So they may well have been coming then.]

[ Working on probabilites rather than possibilities I think the Irish Link is unlikely.
Would presue it if I came to a dead end .

I agree with the comment that the vast  majority of Irish immigration occurred a 100 years later --in the 19th century .
People in my family said there was an Irish link somewhere but I have found no trace of it.
Think the reason for the belief is simply that Hanley is a common name in Ireland --around Cork so I undersatnd .

Given that Hanley name is well established mid 1600 in WR of yorkshire -- I think it is reasonable to conclude my hanley name has its origins in England

Regards --thanks for the inputs.--appreciated --all helps the thinking process]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 02 June 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Here are a couple of examples of mine which might help you decide how far (and why) your ancestor could have moved quite a long distance.   Back in the 1950s when only winding country lanes existed my (then) farmhand boyfriend was sent to work on a farm at harvest time which was 40 miles north of his usual workplace, which was on an East Yorkshire farm.  I have written proof that my West Riding, Yorkshire domestic servant ancestor whose father worked for land owning gentry was sent from Yorkshire to work in the gentry's London house - she married in Westminster, London 1810 and was back up north with her parents in 1813 where the vicar made a note on their baby's baptism record that the father was a servant in London.

The easiest and quickest method of moving great distances several centuries ago was by boat and you might find that your ancestor travelled part way along the River Derwent - I've found a website which might help you plot any likely route:-
http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/river-derwent-yorkshire/map

There are some Yorkshire Parish books online on this site - there is a facility for searching for words when you open each book online.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Yorkshire%20Parish%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts
[
  Internet archives --Yorkshire parishes
Just had search through these parishes --some great data -much from 1650 to 1850 --pity there is only about 20-30 parishes covered of the 600 + in  Yorkshire  .
Be great if all Yorkshire  were here

hanleys/handlesy/ ainleys pre 1710 were listed in the following

North Yorkshire --
WHitby -William hanley married 1658 --then his son -thomas boen 1661 , 2nd thomas bap 1671 + few more
West Riding
 Ecclesfield --sheffield
margret handley married 1592
William hanley married 1618
Garforth [nr pontefract }
William --married 1671
Monk fryston [ nr pontefract} --jane hanley married 1632
Blyth --ext-chapel of austerley- Jervisse handley married 1643
East riding
brantingham --very south -Susanna ainley -married 1688

Ainstey of york
holy trinity ,Goodramgate- christopher handley --son of john , born 1577
elizabeth handley married 1639
St michaels le belfrey --Anne aynley -- born 1569 -father Richard ainley

in summing up --not enough parishes to shed an extra light on search
Shows anelys in mid 1600 around pontefract in mid Wr and Sheffield--and York city

i had earlier picked up hanleys in the ER parishes of Thornton [1615] and Pocklington [1636].
Both of these are very near sutton upon derwent --but Borthwick found no thomas born around 1705. 
Think that hese parishes and adjacent one cannot be excluded for deatiled search of parish records .
still thinks odds are he ventured from WR.
Phil hanley
etapperG
s were covered like these tat rhough /quote]

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
If you don't mind other spellings then the Hearth tax also has these:

John Anlay      1   Sowerby
Mary Anley widd   3   Selby
Nichols Ainley      1   Slaithwaite
John Ainley      2   Slaithwaite
John Ainley      1   Stainland
Jarvas Ainley      1   Longwood Quarter
Edward Ainley      2   Longwood Quarter
Joshua Aynley      1   Honley
John Aynley      1   Marsden

Mary Anley of Selby looks to be the only one nearby though.

Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 03 June 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
If you don't mind other spellings then the Hearth tax also has these:

John Anlay      1   Sowerby
Mary Anley widd   3   Selby
Nichols Ainley      1   Slaithwaite
John Ainley      2   Slaithwaite
John Ainley      1   Stainland
Jarvas Ainley      1   Longwood Quarter
Edward Ainley      2   Longwood Quarter
Joshua Aynley      1   Honley
John Aynley      1   Marsden

Mary Anley of Selby looks to be the only one nearby though.

[Thanks sstarr 2008--appreciate all your messages

Interesting article on web "ainsley of elland " which states the origins in Ellandy--sw of Huddersfield.

That article states  very early records and highlights that in 1340/41 the name of hanley was first used .

That change in spelling makes a lot of sense to me --as ainley sounds very much  like hanley --especially in yorkshire accent .

Another site has handleys from hampshire --which seems unlikely as a link to me.

The majority of ainleys in your Hearth tax list are sw of huddersfield --very near Elland itself --supporting the web article .

So it seems quite plausable that the hanley name could have  stemmed from the name of Ainsley which has its origins in elland sw of huddersfield . From this area hanleys could have spread out through the rest of WR --and then into ER .

Does not bring me nearer to finding Thomas's birthplace  in 1704/5/6 -- but still interesting .

I think I am going to bite the bullet --and order parishes records from Family search centres ---never done it before so do not know how expensive this is.

alternative is to get the various arches in wr to search for me .

Probably have about a dozen to 2 dozen parishes to look at

Which of these is the way to go -- not yet decided

regards Phil hanley]

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
Pre 1800 and to a large extent afterwards DON'T concern yourself about spelling, there was no standard. Remember Shakespeare spelled his own name at least 3 different ways in his own will! The person making the record wrote down what he thought he had heard, so Anlay, Ainley etc. could all have the same root. A Y chromosome DNA test might be useful here.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 07 June 12 01:25 BST (UK) »
Pre 1800 and to a large extent afterwards DON'T concern yourself about spelling, there was no standard. Remember Shakespeare spelled his own name at least 3 different ways in his own will! The person making the record wrote down what he thought he had heard, so Anlay, Ainley etc. could all have the same root. A Y chromosome DNA test might be useful here.

[thanks redroger
About DNA usefulness ---not sure how this could help

Wouldn't I have to find a dna link to someone who was a known descendant of a thomas hanley/ainley/handley/hanely/aynley born 1704-6 ???
That way I could say their thomas and mine were one and the same--and thus use their family research

The other use would be to prove the hanleys of wr descended from the ainsley of Elland. That, whilst of interest, would not help find my thomas's birthplace

Again I would need to find persons  with DNA link to Ainsley 's of Elland

I suspect for the most part, that the DNA test best use is to trace the area of the world your ancesters came from. In my case that would have to be ER/WRr of Yorkshire.

I welcome clarification/additional info
Regards ]

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 07 June 12 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

At least you seem to be cracking on with the information you are receiving.

I found a site today which might interest you.  Its the top surnames in all
the towns and villages of Yorkshire.
I looked down a very long list and found the following for you.

Hanly - found at Whittley Upper which is 6 miles from Huddersfield
Ainley - found at Golcar which is 2.4 miles from Huddersfield

I also noticed on one of the lists of Heath Tax the Ainley was at
Slaithwaite and thats 4.2 miles from Huddersfield and only 2 miles
from Golcar.

I also saw the Handleys but they all come from places around Doncaster area.
One Handley and also spelt as Hendley is at a place called
Hooton Pagnell which is on the border of West Yorkshire.

There are some interesting facts about having your DNA tested for geneology
and its great if you are a man, in my case I would love to find out if we
are from the Vikings in Yorkshire, but I need my Bros to do that

Hope this helps with your parish search

regards Sandymc 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
The use of a Y chromosome DNA test would be to prove or disprove whether the variant surnames come from a common root. It is worthwhile looking at the past DNA threads on this site to get a greater degree of detail.

By the way, I am of Viking descent, according to my DNA test, my DNA is widespread in Sweden, North Germany, Normandy, Istanbul and Sicily. All places settled by Scandinavians. Particularly interesting is the Istanbul link, back to the Yomsburg vikings who formed the bodyguard of the Easter Roman Emperor. The Sicilian link is also interesting, my offers are seldom refused. 8)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 09 July 12 07:10 BST (UK) »
9/July/2012 --Progress update .

Been a while since I raised this query--thought it worth to say how far I have got in my search.
First off learnt the genuki web is additionally useful in advising supporting societies for the parish.
Have been in touch with a number of local Family history societies --which have been helpful . Also there are Yorkshire exchange websites where you can contact volunteers re specific parish records . One was excellent - but nothing heard from the second .

At present I am following a suspicion that Thomas Hanley was born in one of the parishes in the Doncaster Diochese areas -- especially to the north east of the parish of Badsworth -in particular Snaith , Fishlake, Thorne or Campsall.
 There were 3 sons born to a George hanlay in the 1670s in badsworth --William, Thomas and John. There is no trace of John or Thomas marrying/dying in the aprish --so I am suspecting they moved into a  doncaster parish to the west/north/east --and one parish in particular--Snaith --which is just 18 miles away from  Sutton upon derwent and navigable by river .
The feeling is that either john or thomas could be my Thomas's father . worth noting that my thomas named his 3 sons Thomas, John and William .

For some reason I know not it seems that IGI/family search did not pick up on the Doncaster parish BMDs -and neither has Ancestry.uk --hence my inability to find the birth of my thomas born 1704 plus/minus 2/3 years .

The Snaith parish records 1537-1657 are published on the web --thereafter nothing .

I have located 2 possible sources for obtaining snaith parish records covering 1700-1710 .
1 --Doncaster FHS
2 --Doncaster archives

Before deciding on wether to pay for searches/Cds from these sources I might just raise a seperate request on RootsChat to see if anyone has the records  and can search for me .

Will do this next month.
Then I will order the documents .

philip hanley