Author Topic: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710  (Read 21413 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
I think you are mistaken to preclude people who seem to have moved far more than 10 or 30km during their working life. Remember many of their employers the estates moved their labourers (effectively serfs) from one estate to another at their whim. It could be worthwhile trying to establish who was the local landowner in the village concerned and then see what holdings he had in other parts of Yorkshire, and if that doesn't work England!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 May 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look at the Sutton Upon Derwent Parish website:

http://www.suttonuponderwent.org.uk/

There are some extracts from the parish registers, which look unusually detailed, at least at some periods. It's worth looking at them in case there is more information about your ancestor, or perhaps contacting the webmaster directly.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 May 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
In response to Hearth tax advice,

Before now was not  familiar with this tax --As of now-- do not know what information is carried on the records.

Has a look at site given

Came   across 12 hanley names --each against a wapentake of WR .

The problem that I see is that each wapentake covers 10-20 parishes --so this does not lead me to a particular parish.

Through the LDS family search web I had already identified many WR parishes with hanley names in records pre 1710 .

The wapentake nominated in hearth tax may or may simply reflecty that  what I have uncovered . .

For example I already identified hanley presence in kirkby malzeard--which is a parish of upper Claro ----and heaps of hanleys in South kirkby which is a parish of Osgoldcross .

One thing I noted from the hearth tax site nominated --no hanleys are  listed under wapentake of Bartson Aske . Currently I have organised borthwick to search for Thomas in seven parishes within this  Wapentake --- so prehaps not very promising .

Phil Hanley

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 May 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
To all those who have replied with advice too date

many thanks to all .

I am absorbing all the advice received and will try and alter my strategy to suit.

with over 600 parishes in the 3 ridings --and a lack of parish records on free sites/ancestry my present focus is to narrow down the  parishes to those where finding Thomas Hanley is more probable than others . I am aware that this may not find him --and that I will have to take a wider /different tack later.

So far all I know for certain is his marraige,--1728; his children ( names and births--hannah, thomas, william john, hannah ) , his spouse ( Emmet johnson) , that he came to sutton around 21 and was 25 in dec 1729--and that he died in sutton upon derwent . In 1739 in QSF/127/c/13 he was bound over to appear in the next qtr session of beverley for assault charge . That ( beverley) I can find no record of .

My initial thinking  was that he must have been born close to the sutton parish .There were a few hanley birth pre 1700 s in york (st saviour) , thornton , pocklington, hemingbrough --all close --but nothing found in the parish records for the years 1700-1709.

if one considers that pre 1700 , for uncommon names -especially location names , and in a common area of the country --there is a fair chance that most people might be related --then my thinking  is that the hanleys originated in the WR --perhaps around parishes around leeds, doncaster, wakefield

Given that thomas was an agricultural labourer --then at  this stage ,whilst  accepting longer distances of migration was not out of the question, it seems sensible to look first at parishes nearer to sutton upon derwent than far way--  I am  think within 30/40kms. 

My only other thought is how he met and married Emmet(emma)  Johnson and wether finding  her birthplace holds any clues to thomas. Unfortunately Johnson is a fairly common surname..

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 May 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
Here are a couple of examples of mine which might help you decide how far (and why) your ancestor could have moved quite a long distance.   Back in the 1950s when only winding country lanes existed my (then) farmhand boyfriend was sent to work on a farm at harvest time which was 40 miles north of his usual workplace, which was on an East Yorkshire farm.  I have written proof that my West Riding, Yorkshire domestic servant ancestor whose father worked for land owning gentry was sent from Yorkshire to work in the gentry's London house - she married in Westminster, London 1810 and was back up north with her parents in 1813 where the vicar made a note on their baby's baptism record that the father was a servant in London.

The easiest and quickest method of moving great distances several centuries ago was by boat and you might find that your ancestor travelled part way along the River Derwent - I've found a website which might help you plot any likely route:-
http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/river-derwent-yorkshire/map

There are some Yorkshire Parish books online on this site - there is a facility for searching for words when you open each book online.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Yorkshire%20Parish%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 May 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
These are the Hanleys who paid the hearth tax for West Yorks in 1672

Name      Hearths paid   Parish

.....Hanley                    1   Dent 6th Bill
Christopr Hanley or
Roger Sloney            2   Fountains Earth
Richard Hanley            1   Marton with Grafton
Roger Hanley            1   Nun Monkton
Thomas Hanley         2   Stonebeck Up
Robert Hanley            1   Little Ouseburn
Willm Hanley             6   Pontefract, New Market
Robert Hanley            1   South Kirkby
John Hanley            4   Tanshelf
Henry Hanley            1   Womersley
Ralph Hanley            1   Langsett
Willm Hanley            2   Bentley with Arksey
Willm Hanley            3   Bentley with Arksey
Michaell Hanley         2   Hatfield
Richard Hanley      Const   Marr
James Hanley            2   Rawmarsh
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Widdow Handley         2   Barnby Dun

The only problem being that not everybody paid, my farm labourer ancestors were listed as exempt.

Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
This is a real long shot, but there is a Thomas Anley (christian name transcribed as 'Thoma') baptised on 3/8/1707 in Elland. Father also named Thomas. This is from the Englis baptisms on the Family Search Site.

Not being a Yorkshire lass, I am not sure where Elland is in relation to the parish you are interested in.

June

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 09:33 BST (UK) »
Re reply --Thomas Anley .
thank you for input . Elland I believe is SE of Leeds -some wwhere towards Huddersfield ,. With a surname of Illingworth my immediate thought is Yorkshire .

As pe my my reply to  "thomas handley b Sheffield 1707" I think this Thomas is unlikely to be my thomas  due principally year of birth but also secondly name .
The hanley name is fairly prominent in west riding --around the middle of thye county -- so my best bet is to look for a thomas hanley born 1703/4/5 .
Phil Hanley

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 09:53 BST (UK) »
Response to Hearth tax of WR  parishes .

many thanks for this information --I will use it to revist my parish maps to add those WR parishes where Hanleys lived pre 1700.

One question your message raised was how many agricultural labourers were wealthy enough to pay the hearth task ?

My understanding is the lot of the agricultural labourer was deteriorating over the centuries and many were struggling financially going into the 18th century .

Your e mail promptd me to check the hearth tax records for the east riding of Yorkshire .

Interesting to note not a single hanley/handley appears on the ER of yorkshire hearth tax list --compared to the  18 names on the WR list .

This observation again supports the thought that the Hanley surname originated in West Yorkshire --which is why I believe my  Thomas is most likely to have been born .

Tracking down this thomas is like piecing a jig saw -- narrowing on  possibilities from bits of information . In all likelihood I feel I will never know for certain where he was born  --only say with a degree of probability.

Philip Hanley