Author Topic: Walton  (Read 4496 times)

Offline stdami

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 May 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
Xinia,
Good evening. I appear to have more William Walton's in front of me that you can shake a stick at!!
I am very new to this and been presented with a family tree that is now beginning to take off in tangents. People here have been superb in assisting, but now I have a major problem.
The John Walton marrying Ann Needham on 31/8/1818 in Newark, had to what is written in front of me 3 children, Ann (10/7/1819), William  (3/1/1821) and John (8/2/1822). Willsy has supplied 2 alternate children I do not have ?!?!?!?
This is not easy is it ?
Anyway the William I have is as above in case this matches you, do you have a date of birth ?
Regards
Steve

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 May 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Regarding my Uncle Bill...

He married my Fathers sister circa 1943/5 having arrived in my home town, with very little known about him.  He began working with my grandfather and was taken in as part of the family.  That is where he met my Aunt ... They were very happily married, but unfortunately he died quiet young due to an undiagnosed heart problem.  We did go to Nottinghamshire, to visit his 'family' around the 1960's .... but I do not have any more info.  I could try and find more if you like and I do have a photograph, which if it is relevant will send.   One thing I do know, that the name William Walton, is quite common from around that area.  As we also had a family friend with the same name. (no relation to Uncle Bill).  I will see if I can find any more on my Uncle for you.   
 :)

xin

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 May 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
My register must start after 1822, the best bet would be to see the originals, as at least you now have an occupation for a John Walton, it could be a second marriage or another John... Ann Foottit  1825.

The only burial I can see is for a Mary Walton 19 Jul 1822 age 50

I have viewed them in the past and the vicar is quite good at leaving messages in the margin.

Does him being a blacksmith match with records you have?
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
by the way.. going back to Essex - i hope you have seen this great site:

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline stdami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 07:17 BST (UK) »
Diddy,
Thank you for that website information. with the lengthy weekend approaching I have plenty to review and will need to form some strategy as to how to go forward. Thanks for all the assisitance and information on here from various people, lots to look at.
As a further question please, I started here assuming the family was riased in Melton Molbray. some of the records provided relfect Thrussington within them. I note this is a village near MM therefore is it likely that it is at Thrussington records will be best likely found.
Looks like I have a trip or two north to arrange before the summer is out, a few hours up the A1. Could be great fun.
Best regards
Steve

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
looking for someone else this morning, the seax site seems to be down at the moment. dont know what the problem is - i was able to open it 2 days ago!!

good luck with you trip. Leics libraries reoprt that Thrussington PRs are available at Syston library (not Melton) as well as the Leics record office of course.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Capitano

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat and this is my first post. I came across this topic as my GGG grandfather is the John Walton who married Ann Needham in 1818 as mentioned by the OP. However, I think some of the info mentioned above is not entirely correct and two family trees have been wrongly connected. Happy to be corrected as I am fairly amateur at this.

I believe the John Walton who marries Ann Needham was baptised in 1790 at Whissendine, Rutland to parents William and Bridget (no surname but I believe it is Durrance). Why? Because the 1861 census shows that he was born at Whissendine. He dies in November 1868 - the death is recorded at Southwell, Notts although I believe he was living at Sneinton, Nottingham at the time. He died while travelling and a newspaper report of the time gives his age as 78 ie born 1790.

Ann Needham was baptised on 1 Jan 1797 at Newark and died in 1885 in Nottingham. They had seven children. I believe that the parents of John Walton (1790 - 1868) were William Walton and Bridget Durrance who married at Whissendine, Rutland in 1790, a few months before John was born. In other words, the Jane Grocock mentioned above is not part of this family tree.

The OP mentioned that the Waltons were heavily located around Feering, Essex. Interestingly, the grandson of John Walton and Ann Needham, John William Walton was born in Manchester in 1847 but settled in Kelvedon, Essex and died in Braintree in 1929, both very near to Feering.

Happy to be corrected on any of this or to provide more info.