Author Topic: Adams of Mossville, Urney  (Read 1549 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adams of Mossville, Urney
« on: Wednesday 30 May 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information about anybody with the surname 'Adams' that lived in an area known as 'Mossville' in the parish of Urney, Co. Tyrone. I am particularly interested in finding out about a 'Jane Adams', who resided in the locality in the 1860s.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Brendan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adams of Mossville, Urney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that Mossville was the name of a property belonging to the Hamilton family in the late 1600s. It was in the Townland of Ballyfatten (Ballyfatton), Patish of Urney, Co. Tyrone. The 1851 census record (recorded in 1908 for pension purposes) gives a large family od Adams living in Ballyfatten but no Jane.
William Adams
Letitia Adams
Thomas  22
William   17
John       16
Robert    14
Frances   12
James     10
Porter      8
Mary Ann 6
Letitia      4
Eliza        2

There was a marriage of a Thomas Adams to Catherine Orr on 19 Jun 1854 in Urney Presbyterian Church

There are also eight wills in the Proni site for Adams of Ballyfatton.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adams of Mossville, Urney
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi kingskerswell

Thanks for that information!! I had a feeling that Mossville lay within the townland of Ballyfatten, but I wasn't able to find any concrete evidence to support a connection, until I got your reply. Subsequently, I checked the internet for any information relating to the Hamilton family residence in Ballyfatten, and I came across a few articles that connect Mossville with Ballyfatten. One actually records that "Mossville was the name of the old residence at Ballyfatton, Co. Tyrone, burned by the army of James II". 

In Griffith's Valuation there are a number of individuals named 'Adams' renting property in close vicinity to Ballyfatten House (which must have also been known locally as Mossville). Two of these people are named 'Jane Adams'. One of these must be the Jane Adams that I have been searching for.

Thanks again! I wouldn't have come to any of the above conclusions without your help!!!
Best wishes,
Brendan