Author Topic: Looking for Edward JONES, b. 1836, Bristol  (Read 6120 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Edward JONES, b. 1836, Bristol
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 July 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
On the coroner's report it says he was born in England.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 July 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Neal, I was tempted to order his DC, but didn't want to pay too much for fear it wasn't him.  Yeah, born in England, that is looking better, thanks Ros. 

I found a blog that said he was buried in Section T, Grave 9059, Anglican portion of Rookwood cemetery.  Could he have family buried there also? 

Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 July 13 05:29 BST (UK) »
Here is the Rookwood Cemetery site http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/ but the site is undergoing maintenance and the grave search facility is not currently available  :(

From memory (?) you need to register  and get a username and password but it doesn't cost anything.

cheers,
  Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 July 13 05:38 BST (UK) »
By the way did you consider this death of an Edward Jones (age is a little out)?  Are there any Colstan's in the family?

December 1863
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13088293

On the 2nd instant, at the residence of his friend, George West,
Botany Road, Edward Colstan Jones, native of Bristol, England,         
aged 24 years.

regards,
  Ros
 edited to fix:
On NSW BDM Jones Edward C aged 24  died Waterloo  reg Redfern reg#211/1863

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 July 13 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Can't wait to check out the cemetery link, when it available.  I don't know of any Colstan in the family, but I don't know his father Edward Jones, sr.'s family.  I think Edward Jones, jr. was christened without a middle name.  I will make a note in case it is him.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to say a great big thank you to Neil, Leanne, JM, Debra, and Ros, for all the amazing information and help you gave me concerning my Australian relatives. 
At first I couldn't find the Trove Sydney Morning Herald 1857 mentioned by Neil, but I just looked again and found it.  I keep referring back to all your messages, because I couldn't quite take it all in at the moment. 
With great appreciation,
Celia

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
I never ordered Walter William Jones's death record, but I found this record on Ancestry.

Liverpool Asylum for the Infirm and Destitute, Register of Inmates.  Walter William Jones, age 63, draper, married, born in Bristol, England, 45 yrs. in the States of the Commonwealth, 34 yrs. in NSWales, ship "Nimroud" Last-living in Campbelltown.  Married in Bombala at the age of 39 to Letitia Annie Heffernam, date of admission 17-6-1902, date of discharge 27-9-02, son ...'20 Campbelltown, wife Mrs. Jones, Quren St. Campbelltown.

I am not quite sure about his wife's name so I am attaching it.

I also found these:
Walter William Jones married Camilla L A Hefferman in 1878 in Bombala District, New South Wales .
Camille L Heffernan, born 1860, in New South Wales, to Michael B. Heffernan and Charlotte C. 

Please, I am wondering with the latest information if any more can be found on Walter William Jones and his wife.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 August 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
Snip appears to read "Married in Bombala at the age of 39 Letitia Annie Heffernan"

Online trees (need to be checked)
Camilla/Camille Letitia Annie Heffernan
Father: Michael Benedict Heffernan (born 1835 Cork Ireland)
Mother: Charlotte Cecilia Eather (born 1835 Cornwallis, some trees suggest she died 1860)
Charlotte Eather married Michael Heffernan 1856 Sydney.
They had the following children:
Victoria S Heffernan was born in 1856 in Sydney.
Camille L Heffernan was born in 1860 in Sydney.
http://www.australian-english-genealogy.com/thomaseat/pafg04.htm
http://www.haskellfamilyhistory.com/eather/1495.html

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 August 14 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you cupoflife for Camille L Heffernan's family tree and deciphering her name for me.   I needed something to go by and that is lots more that I hoped for. 

I really appreciate all the help I have received on researching my Australian relatives.  I haven't had any luck on my own. 

Thanks again to Neil for the Sydney Morning Herald, 21 Oct 1857, advertisement in which Walter William Jones was seeking his brothers Albert or Edward Jones, from Bristol.

Since then I found two newspaper advertisements from the Melbourne newspaper "The Argus," on 9 Sep 1859 and 20 July 1855, which one or both could possibly be for his brother Albert.
(1859) missing friends...Albert Jones, late of Bristol,--call on Mrs. Lee, 15 Nicholson-street, Charlton-gardens.
(1855) Albert Jones, with sandy hair, from Titchfield-terrace, London.--send your address immediately to S. P., office of this paper.  [On the 1851 census my Albert's mother Elizabeth Basterfield was living at 14 Titchfield Terrace, London.]

Any ideas where I may find more information on these Alberts of Mebourne?