Author Topic: MAITLANDS in Armagh  (Read 2718 times)

Offline sdonlea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MAITLANDS in Armagh
« on: Friday 01 June 12 01:02 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information on MAITLANDS in Armagh.  I have in my family tree John MAITLAND born in Armagh in either 1805 or 1812. He was Quartermaster in 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot. He served in Coorg, India in 1834, married (2nd marriage) in Gibraltar in 1839 and served in the Crimea in 1855.  The regiment then went to India, where he died in 1862. 

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MAITLANDS in Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have any other info about John Maitland??  names of family members ??

There is a John Maitland listed for the townland of Lisnamintry in the freeholders index on the Proni website.

I have a Thomas Maitland in my tree from this area.  The nearest towns to Lisnamintry would be Portadown and Lurgan.

Hope someone is able to help you as his birth predates  civil registration.

Regards,
Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline sdonlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Sadly I have no further information.  All I know is that his grandson stated in 1926 that his grandparents were Major John Maitland of the 48th Regiment (born in Armagh in 1812), and Margaret Marsh (born in Canterbury in 1820, the daughter of Rev. Marsh of Canterbury.)  However, the record of John Maitland's  burial in Lucknow, Bengal, India in 1862 gives his age as 57 (i.e. born 1805).  He was Quarter Master in the 48th (the Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot.  I hope to visit the National Archives shortly in the hope of obtaining further information.  A visit to the archives in Canterbury yielded no further information regarding Margaret or her father.

I have what I believe to be the correct marriage record, which shows the marriage in Gibraltar in 1839 of John Maitland and Margaret FEENY (both parties were widowed).  Their known family consisted of 4 daughters (born between about 1840 and 1857), none of whose births/baptisms have been found (I have searched India records, England and Wales, Scotland, Ireland and British overseas births); the youngest daughter was born in Malta, and I imagine that the others were born in various parts of the Empire.  All the daughters married in Bengal.

Offline karene.mcdowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 May 19 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I was interested in your Maitland / mcmurray connection.  I'm looking for a Thomas Maitland born c1808 in Banbridge. I've found Sarah (mcmurray) Maitland widow of a Thomas Maitland a Weaver and trying to figure out if it's my lost Thomas

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

John Maitlands age 57 death 23.8.1862 place Lucknow, Bengal birth 1805

then if you look down the page on this site also John Maitlands Nothampton
it mention that there is a plague at All Saints Northamptonshire for Neil Campbell 1864, Walter Pownall 1854, HJ Wilkson 1862, EA Windsor 1862, J. Maitand 1862, tablet erected by their brother officers.

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Alice Maitland 80 and son James 37 are in Lisnamintry in 1857, per Knocknamuckley Church of Ireland census.  Anne Maitland who married Robert Campbell is 15 and in Ballygargan.  Her father is James, per marriage record 1860.  Sarah Ann Maitland is 41 and is living with David McMurray in Ballygargan  along with possible son Thomas 20.  Knocknamuckley has no gravestones nor baptism records for the family as far as I can tell and they family is not in there by Griffith's Valuation.  William Maitland of Lisnamintry is listed as having a will in probate 1780.   

Offline karene.mcdowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Will dig a bit further :)

I now suspect the son Thomas is Thomas Dickson Maitland who after getting into bother and arrested in Belfast emigrated to America and worked as a journalist..... James’s will talks about him being abroad