Author Topic: Cemeteries in St Hellier Jersey in 1845 - Completed with many thanks  (Read 3333 times)

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with a possible burial site so I can explore cemetery inscriptions for Catherine Elizabeth Robilliard nee Ogier. 1801 - 1845.

I am having trouble finding a death certificate, so thought a cemetery search may help however I am not sure where to start?

Catherine was living in St hellier in 1841 as per the census, and family trees indicate she died in 1845.

Any suggestions most welcome as I rely solely on the internet as I live in Australia.

Many thanks

Tanya :)
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline kateinperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries in St Hellier Jersey in 1845
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

If you do not have any luck via this forum, I will be going to Jersey later this year, and will also be looking through all the cemeteries for my family. Will be happy to do a search for you at the same time.

Kate
Thomas in Jersey and Hampshire, Conway in Co Waterford and Jersey, Beardsley in Burton Overy and Great Glen, Leicestershire. Bent in Gilmorton, Leics.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 12 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi both :)

The Genuki pages have some information about Jersey cemeteries which might be helpful:

http://chi.genuki.weald.org.uk/jsy/start#cemeteries

Prue

Offline kateinperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue. Had forgotten about this site. So long since I got our own baptisms from it.  Kate
Thomas in Jersey and Hampshire, Conway in Co Waterford and Jersey, Beardsley in Burton Overy and Great Glen, Leicestershire. Bent in Gilmorton, Leics.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 12:33 BST (UK) »
The death of Catherine Robilliard is recorded on Vol 2 of the St Helier indexes on page 84. I have to go to the Registry Office sometime in the next week so can have a look at the certificate then and pass on the details if you like. I wouldn't recommend buying the certificate as they cost £20 (30AUD) each.

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 12 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue, Kate and Jerseylily,

thank you for your replies :)
I have been off line this week, so apologies for the delay.

I believe Catherine was born in Guernsey as this is where she lived and later married Henry Robilliard. The family then moved to Jersey.

I have researched the Jersey Baptism records and some of Catherine and Henry's children are listed here, thanks for the links and the PM's regarding this - they have been most helpful :)

The info on the cemeteries is also very interesting Prue, thanks for the link, :)

I would absolutely love to know if there is any detail on Catherine's death as she died quite young, thank you for your offer Jerseylily, I would be most grateful for any extra info you might find at the archives. I must admit the cost for certificates is quite high especially when we convert to Oz dollars, thanks again for your offer, fingers crossed! it's easy to find for you :)

Unfortunately I will be offline again for a few days whilst I visit family in rural Victoria, but will be back soon :)

Thanks again everyone :)

Tanya

Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 12 12:31 BST (UK) »
I now have the details from the death certificate of Catherine Robilliard

25/3/1845 Catherine Ogier, femme de M Henri Robilliard (wife of Mr Henry Robilliard), aged 43 years and 6 months. Cause of death Phthisie Pulmonaire (TB)
The death was notified by Henry Robilliard of Seaton Place, St Helier.

Because of when she died it is likely that she is buried either in Green St Cemetery or the graveyard at St Helier Town Church. The Archive only has memorial inscriptions from Green St and I am not sure what records exist, if any, for the Town Church.

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 June 12 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thank-U Jersey Lily!!

You've solved somewhat of a mystery for me, many many thanks!!

I will now try researching those two Cemeteries - thanks so much for your help and everyone's input on this post, everyone has been most helpful, I really appreciate it.

Many thanks from OZ!!

Tanya  :)