Author Topic: What sites to subscribe to ?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What sites to subscribe to ?
« on: Friday 01 June 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am at a stage in my research where I have obtained most the free information I can from various sites, I was now thinking of subscribing to one of the well known sites to try and get more info.  I am interested in Military records and mainly information from Ireland.

Since these subscriptions are very expensive could someone please advise me?

I already have subscription to findmypast.ie and I find it's a complete waste of money, no matter what I search is not there even when I know the dates etc.  I Don't want to be wasting anymore of my money so any advise is appreciated.

Jess
Researching Shiels/McGrane/Kelly/Carroll/Adamson/McGrane family history

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: What sites to subscribe to ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
What type of Irish information are you looking for ?

I dont think FindMyPast.ie have any civil or parish records...

(as far as I can see just transcripts of three historic church registers - mostly 1600s to early 1800s, plus some early marriage indexes from Licence Bonds etc)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What sites to subscribe to ?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
I don't think Ancestry has much Irish info either. You might want to check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition and then you could check it out for yourself without incurring a large expense.

Have you checked out the various resources listed on the RootsChat Ireland board?

PB

Edited to add: It looks like Ancestry have at least some Irish BMD records but I'm not sure how complete the online records are. You could check this out if your library subscribes, as I mentioned above.

Also, Ancestry usually has a 2 week free trial but if you take them up on that make sure you cancel prior to the end of the 2 weeks if you don't wish to continue with the sub or you will be charged for a year's sub.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada