Author Topic: Andrew YOUNG/Robert YOUNG?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew YOUNG/Robert YOUNG?
« on: Saturday 02 June 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
On my seemingly never ending quest to get beyond my ancestor Robert Young b1795 seemingly in Scremerston I had a look at some parish records from Ancroft and Tweedmouth on the understanding that Presbyterians were buried in the Parish churchyards.Looking at the Bishops transcriptsIi found Robert Youngs at Ancroft both as father and son in the 1760s as well as burials of other Youngs living at Scremerston.
I then got to thinking as Roberts first son was Andrew maybe that was his fathers name. Ann Ann Young aged 84 was buried at Tweedmouth in 1800 said to be the widow of an Andrew Young labourer. Could this be grandparents? Also i found an Andrew from East Mains in the Ancroft BT buried in 1816 aged 59 or 69? This would make him the right age to be Roberts father.
Also at Lowick I found an Andrew Young married in 1779 to a Margaret Tait. Also at Lowick there were burials of Robert Youngs in the late 1700s.
Do you think that any of these people are possibilities?
Also there seem to be gaps in the BTs. Are the original registers any more complete?
Since last time I have checked Scottish border parishes as suggested and not found any likely marriages for Robert and his wife Ann. So a toll marriage does seem most likely.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew YOUNG/Robert YOUNG?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
I suppose all or any of them could be right - you'll just need a bit more data to prove or eliminate them.

I often use spreadsheets in this situation.  Put them all on there, sorting by date or location can often clarify the picture a bit.  Otherwise they're all logged for when you do find more information.

As for the parish records being more complete than the BTs - yes, they are.  You can see what's available by looking at the genuki website.  Go to the relevant parish and follow the link to church records

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Parishes.html

Christine

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
thanks for that. i think a journey to Northumberland archives is needed.
I have been wrestling with the problem that some people in the borders seem to use both presbyterian and anglican churches for baptism. Maybe some presbyterian families became anglicised over time or just lapsed a bit? I know the popular idea is that presbyterians never used anglican churches but my family appeared to have used both. Any thoughts?

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
ghy,

As far as England and Wales go, if Presbyterians wanted a legal marriage and legitimate children, they would have to marry in a Parish Church i.e Anglican/Church of England. But there was no restriction for baptisms.

The same legislation that introduced civil registrations of BMDs in July 1837, allowed different religions to marry in church denomination of choice, or Register Office.

Before 1837 many English folk popped over the border to Scotland to marry, thus avoiding having to marry in the "wrong church" !

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
thanks Michael for your reply.

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew YOUNG/Robert YOUNG?Prebyterian or C of E????
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
thanks Michael for your reply. However i just have this nagging feeling that things with Presbyterians wernt as clear cut as some say. Were all of them die hards by the 19th cent? Would some in a religious sense be a bit slack as it were as were anglicans and others. Would all Scots Prebyterians be as dogmatic as we are led to believe or would when need arose use the nearest anglican church if need be? Why do some families seem to baptise children in an anglican church one generation and then presbyterian the next and then sometimes back. This makes North Northumberland family history very complicated

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
You have my understanding and sympathy. My family are non-conformists (Methodists) from the Kyloe and Lowick area. I have trawled through many records at Woodhorn and Percy House looking for them. Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist, Irregular Border Marriages. Don't give up. Just keep plugging away at it systematically and the breakthroughs will hopefully come. NDFHS have a couple of publications of Irregular Border Marriages which I bought and have found useful. Might be worth the investment if you have a lot of folks in that area.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 June 12 01:03 BST (UK) »
I suspect that it may have something to do with inter-denominational marriages and the strength of the beliefs of the spouses.

I followed one line back to the early 1700s - C. of E. all the way - and was then surprised to find that my several x great grandfather had been a Presbyterian minister.  One of his sons followed him into the ministry while my direct ancestor obviously did not.

Christine

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 June 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
i have looked on the IGI and collated all Andrew and Robert Youngs c1650 to 1800 and where they were baptised. i have then put them onto a parish/chapel map of the area and now am going to look at Parish records to try and find others plus marriages and burials. Is there anywhere else to check noncomformist records other than the IGI? Also I realise I need a trip to berwick to look up the cross border marriage records.