Author Topic: Death Records for MCAULIFFE, Daniel and Mary  (Read 2998 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Records for MCAULIFFE, Daniel and Mary
« on: Sunday 03 June 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Genealogy Friends,

I am searching for a burial record or a death certificate for my great-great-great-grandparents Daniel McAuliffe, born ca. 1794 in Killarney and his wife, Mary, née O'Donoghue.  My goal is to find where they are buried so that I can visit them one day. 

By way of background, Daniel enlisted in the British Army at Clonmel, Tipperary in 1816 at the age of 22 and served with the 37th Regiment of Foot for 26 years of which seven were spent in Canada.

I have reason to believe that, in the latter part of the couple's life, they went back to Daniel's home town because their son (the only child of theirs that I know of) was married in Dublin in 1862 and the RC parish record lists the parents' residence as Killarney, Co. Kerry.

So far, I have not found much information about them...so any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Owen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Death Records for MCAULIFFE, Daniel and Mary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
If Daniel and Mary died after 1864 they should appear in the civil BMD Index, and have a death cert. You didn't mention the timeframe, but a search of possible deaths for Daniel between 1864 and 1880, shows a few matches, although none in Killarney district, or that seem to be the correct age.

See : Daniel Mc Auliffe death - 1864-1880
You can use these results as a starting point, fine tune the dates, location/district, and particularly the spelling of the surname..

Very few RC parishes kept death/burial records especially this early on, but there are a few transcripts of headstones, which may be published online - although not everyone had a headstone, and not all survived.

Kerry Local Authority have a website with a map of the graveyards in their area which can be very useful. The website also has many burial records, although these tend to be for much later dates.

See : http://www.kerrylaburials.ie/en/index.aspx

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response, Shane.  Unfortunately, I don't have any idea when they died: all I know is that they were present at my great-great-grandparents' wedding in 1862 so it's possible they made it to 1864 when civil records began for Catholics.

I have done the search you recommended on the LDS website and I've also had a look at the Kerry burials site but no such luck.  Maybe something will turn up either with the tombstones or something else.  I won't give up :)

Thanks again,
Owen

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen

Where did you get the marriage records from ?

It can sometimes be confusing with records !

Sometimes parents can be listed on the records but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were still alive (sometimes the clerk forgets to write deceased against them)

Also the clerk may have written down where Daniel actually CAME from as opposed to where they were actually living at the time.

Do you have the family on any census ?

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
I was guessing that the marriage was on IrishGenealogy, but couldn't see one that fits...

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify a statement made earlier-
Unfortunately, I don't have any idea when they died: all I know is that they were present at my great-great-grandparents' wedding in 1862 so it's possible they made it to 1864 when civil records began for Catholics.

Civil registration of births and deaths (regardless of religion) began in 1864.
Registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864, from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
all I know is that they were present at my great-great-grandparents' wedding in 1862

and another clarification I should have mentioned earlier.... unless they were witnesses to the marriage, there's no guarantee they were present at the wedding...

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
This is their son John I presume (birthplace mistranscribed as Queen's - should say Quebec)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Bray/Duncairn_Parade/1811099/

Here are more children born to John & Anne

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nhh/

Also possible marriage for Thomas Daly and Susan Walsh

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/e4d5060047356

and possible Anne baptism

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/49f70c0098577

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 June 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether this is a total coincidence or not ???

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/bfa0a20464289

Tara