Author Topic: Mellars Family Info  (Read 1471 times)

Offline mmellars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mellars Family Info
« on: Saturday 21 May 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to put together a family tree for the Mellars family. The family as I knew it was located in North Leverton. My grandfather was Charles Hartley Mellars and lived in North Leverton,. His son, my father was Lewis Hartley Mellars. He grew up in North Leverton and later they moved to Dunham on Trent were I was born.

As I am new to this I wonder how to go about getting the info I need.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mellars Family Info
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 05 16:26 BST (UK) »
 :)
Welcome to Rootschat.

What do you want to find out and do you have any birth, marriage and death dates already (or approximately).

There is alot of information available free on various websites so keep posting specific questions and say if you want to find it yourself and just want pointers as to where to look.

Have you been to the beginners section of Rootschat as there are plenty of tips and links to get you started.

These may be the right ones from the 1891 census:

Charles Hartley   Born 1880   South Lev
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry pressed the wrong button!
                               Born        Where born        Occupation             Status in family
Charles H              1880       South Lev                                                    son
Edith Emily Scott   1881       Retford                                                        daughter
Annie                    1884       Headon                                                       daughter
Emily                     1863       Rampton                                                     wife
William                   1857      Little Gringley          Farm Bailiff                  Head

Lived at Cowsland farm

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmellars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 05 19:13 BST (UK) »
I am truly impressed. Just how did you do that?
It seems that they are the ones I'm trying to trace. I will check the family bible to see if the names appear anywhere.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
If you have a family Bible you need to copy down all the information in it. Name, dates, places etc. Get all the info you can from relatives, diaries, address books, back of photos. This will all be a good starting point and then fill in the gaps from research.

The information I gave you was from the 1891 census. This can be found free at:

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

although the source I used you have to pay a subscription for so the coverage is better and I can see the original images.

Other free sites to get you going are:

Births, marriages and deaths
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Births, marriages, deaths and more:
http://www.familysearch.org/

Best of luck

Jane