Author Topic: mysterious disappearance of william alfred latter stapley  (Read 4584 times)

Offline cornishwelshmaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mysterious disappearance of william alfred latter stapley
« on: Sunday 03 June 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help with info knowledge of the above person last listed in the 1871census of Lamberhurst Kent.
 It was believed that he left for the USA in the late 1870's. In the 1881census his wife was listed as head of the household, Mary nee Mann, and his last born child was born in 1879 this was my g'father Joseph Stapley. I have searched all manner of documents but have been unable to trace.

I beieve he was  christened in Brenchley  Kent around 1849,but have been unable to to trace his birth registration, He was raised in Lamberhurst Kent by I think, his uncle and aunt William and Elizabeth Latter listed in the 1851 census.

Married Mary Mann in the parish church of Frittleworth, Sussex in Feb 1867  His father was listed as a Richard Stapley and the witness to this marriage was a William A Latter, most prob the person who raised him.
He may have gone under the name of Latter,  or any combination of the names.

Any information would be most welcome and appreciated.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mysterious disappearance of william alfred latter stapley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to RootsChat!

FamilySearch has a baptism for William, but there's a discrepancy with his father's name?

William Alfred Latter STAPLEY, son of Edward STAPLEY and Hannah, baptised 29 July 1849 in Brenchley, Kent.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cornishwelshmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
 Thanks,

Yes, I'm aware of this record, but the marriage cert' which I have states clearly that is father was Richard, so have never been sure who this couple were. It could maybe be his father's brother!!!!

Because I have been unable to trace his birth registration this has always been a mystery and as to what happened to Richard,  his possible father, because there appears tobe no trace of him subsequently.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
Why are you so certain that this is not your relative? Are you saying that you think there were two children called William Alfred Latter Stapley born about the same time in the same place? I would be more inclined to think that there was a mistake on the marriage certificate when William's father was recorded as Richard. If William was raised by his uncle and aunt he may not have known his father's name.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Could these FamilySearch records be relevant:

Richard Stapley Birth 1818 -Father,William  married Sarah Sellers 29 Apr 1839 Wadhurst Sussex
Edward Stapley Birth 1825-Father,William  married Hannah Mepham 28 Dec 1846 Wadhurst Sussex

Regards
Roger

Offline cornishwelshmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
I guess my thinking would be is that the person who signed as a witness to the marriage  was WILLIAM ALFRED LATTER who had reared and known him all his life.

I believe that his wife was a STAPLEY before she married WILLIAM LATTER. I think that it was ELIZABETH'S brother RICHARD who could have been his dad,but have no proof. I also thought that when he was christened, EDWARD and his wife HANNAH may have been uncle and aunt. Trouble is I still don't know where WILLIAM ALFRED LATTER STAPLEY ended up.

Hello despair,

i'm aware of these records thanks.

I'm sure that they are connected but basically I need to link ELIZABETH LATTER nee  STAPLEY to these two men as brothers then I could assume that something happened to the family as Richard was not on the 1851 census. The Latters did not have children and for some reasons reared their nephew,my g grandfather. many thanks.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
May not be the same family as William Alfred was with his aunt in 1861 according to the OP

1861  HO107; Piece: 1639; Folio: 427

Richard Stapley   48    Farm Lab          Wadhurst Sussex
Sarah Stapley           34                             Mayfield Sussex
Elizabeth Stapley   11                             Wadhurst
William Stapley         9                              Wadhurst
John Stapley             8                              Wadhurst
Mary Stapley             2                              Wadhurst

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
An online tree has Eliza, Richard and Edward (all born Wadhurst, Sussex) as children of William STAPLEY and Mary CARB - it might be worth contacting the poster about the family:

http://gransdenfamily.com/gransdenf/pafg140.htm
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
There's a William Stapley aged 3 in 1851 Lamberhurst Kent with his uncle and aunt William and Eliza Latter but birthplace for all Wadhurst Sussex  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos