Author Topic: Clayton family  (Read 7871 times)

Offline oliveoilgina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clayton family
« on: Monday 04 June 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Wonder if you can help? My grandmothers name was Mary Ann clayton her father William. As the family story goes they were Irish romany gypsies. I have only been able to find the marriage censors confirming she married Thomas brown who was Scottish. Quite a combination I can not find any other info. Can you tell me if Clayton is a Romany name.

Thanks

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clayton family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Reference for Clayton 1775 Leicestershire also for Clay in Derbyshire 1706 and a Claydon in the RTFHS as for being Romany that could be debatable as it is thought that the Romany never went to Ireland! Irish and Scotish Travellers or Tinkers did inter mingle however Clayton is a Gypsy Surname in various Spelling if it is any help to you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Clayton certainly is an English Romany surname. The RTFHS have published a book of Clayton family trees, together with Booth family trees, as part of their Famous Romany Families Series. There was a lot of intermarriage between Claytons and Booths, hence the combination of the two in one book.

The main travelling counties for Claytons were Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Northants, Lincolnshire - Middle England, in other words.

And on the question of whether English Romanies went into Ireland and settled there: one branch of my Smith family did. They started out by visiting Irish horse fairs regularly to buy stock in the mid to late 19th century and then some made their home in Dublin and Belfast.

Sharon

Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

There is a Malachi Clayton on the 81 census born Lowick Ireland living in Northhumberland states he is a retired coal miner,

also recorded as Traveller or Gypsy or just passing through are records for
a Keturah Clayton bap 1830 Melton Mowbay,parents Francis and Ann
a Elizebeth bap 1834 Billesdon,parents Tobias and Elizebeth

also an early record for a John Clayton burial 1709 at Bosworth

there does not seem to be a lot of public records for Clayton it may be worth having a look on Romany Genes or Romany Jib and asking there,
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
My grandmothers name was Mary Ann clayton her father William

To enable constructive replies, perhaps you could give dates and places ( not living persons info)

Offline BigDave123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 December 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think your grandmother was my great, great grandmother. Best, Dave Elliott

Offline John clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 11:37 BST (UK) »
Im John Edward Clayton . My DAD WAS john Clayton. My GRANDAD was RICHARD CLAYTON MY NANA EDITH CLAYTON WAS DOLAN..my great grandfather was JOHN PENRITH CLAYTON my great gran ISABELLA Clayton was THRELFALL...My great great grandfather was RICHARD CLAYTON my great great grandmother was PHOEBE CLAYTON WAS PENRITH..my great great great grandfather was william Clayton my great great great grandmother was ELLEN Clayton WAS Nelson. We are FROM BLACKPOOL. We have DOLANS PENRITHS Burton's FURY if this helps.jc.
Clayton..Dolan..penrith..hampson