Author Topic: Rosscarbery Parish Register - DONOVAN  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Michael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rosscarbery Parish Register - DONOVAN
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara.

Denis went to London, probably in the 1850's and Michael and Patrick followed him later in that decade or the 60's after the death of Michaels wife.

Full info is contained in the Donovan History web page attached to my avatar.
Donovan (Cork, Middlesex, Tasmania, N.S.W)
Stafford (York /Lancashire, Mossley, Melbourne, Sydney)
Sawyer (Middlesex, N.S.W.)
Watson (Ripley, Derby)
Fitzgerald (Birr, Ireland, Mossley, Lancashire / York)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

How sure are you that Denis and Patrick were actually brothers ?

Do you have anything else linking them other than a witness at one of the marriages ?

I am just concerned that if you research Roscarberry too much based on Denis' 1911 census and it turns out that they weren't brothers and maybe cousins that you may be on a wild goose chase.

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Just to explain a bit more about Griffiths - it only relates to people who were responsible for paying rents on land that they were leasing ie farmers.

As you have said that your family were labourers and dock workers in London, it's likely they were also from this tradition in Ireland and therefore would not be on Griffiths Valuation.

While it's not impossible that those from Roscarberry on Griffiths were related, with such a common surname like Donovan in Cork this would be near on impossible to prove.

Also you need to prove 100% that your ancestor (whom I am presuming is Patrick NOT Denis) was actually from Roscarberry.

Sorry to be sounding like a profit of doom - and as I said on last message, please let me know if I am wrong.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
I know you have mentioned the Donovan's neighbours on the 1871 census 'The Leary's'

Here is the baptism of 4 of their children in Ireland

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0na5/

I was hoping to see if I could find a Donovan connection to them, but no luck so far !

Tara

Offline Michael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
Tara. 

That would put a spanner in the works if they were cousins but I hope this is not so.  I am getting a better understanding of the Griffith list regarding tenancy and leasing. 

I figured that as a result of the famine and family deaths many land tenants may have been forced off the land and sort employment in London of whatever was available.

My evidence is that in the 1871 London census both Michael (widower) and Patrick (Patrick definitely my g/grandfather) were living together and shown as father and son.  On the marriage certificate of Patrick in 1873 Michael Donovan (labourer) is listed as his father.

On the marriage certificate of Denis in 1858, Michael Donovan (stevedore) is listed as his father. 

If Patrick and Denis fathers were brothers and the boys were cousins I would doubt that both their fathers would have the same Christian name.  I have just accepted all along that the boys were brothers.  I'm pretty sure I could dig up more anecdotal evidence in my previous research to support this.

If it were to pass that they were cousins, at least I have the link to Rosscarbery to work with.

Cheers, Michael.
Watson (Ripley, Derby)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Just to explain a bit more about Griffiths - it only relates to people who were responsible for paying rents on land that they were leasing ie farmers.

As you have said that your family were labourers and dock workers in London, it's likely they were also from this tradition in Ireland and therefore would not be on Griffiths Valuation.

While it's not impossible that those from Roscarberry on Griffiths were related, with such a common surname like Donovan in Cork this would be near on impossible to prove.

Also you need to prove 100% that your ancestor (whom I am presuming is Patrick NOT Denis) was actually from Roscarberry.

Sorry to be sounding like a profit of doom - and as I said on last message, please let me know if I am wrong.

Tara
[/quote

I would agree with the statement that it's dangerous to build family trees based on Griffiths. As far as I understand Griffiths though it relates to more than farmers who were leasing land. The intro page to Griffiths on the Ask About Ireland website says that it pertains to agricultural and built property and there are plenty of instances where only houses are listed with no accompanying land. I think it's a generalisation to say that if a family in London were labourers and dock workers they likely brought these traditions from Ireland. Labourer seems to be a catch-all term that can cover a multitude of things. Whatever of the certainty of the Rosscarbery connection of all three men, it is unlikely that those who were from there brought the occupation of dock labourer from Rosscarbery. I'm open to correction here but I doubt that Rosscarbery was ever much of a port requiring dock labourers. Michael, I think you're going to have a problem if you need Michael to be a stevedore while living in Rosscarbery.

In relation to nicknames, where surnames were common, nicknames were sometimes adopted to tell different  families with the same surnames apart. So for the west Cork area, you will often see various nicknames for Donovan, Sullivan, Driscoll and McCarthy for example. Depending on how they are used, they can either be a help or a hindrance. I don't know much about Donovan nicknames but I haven't seen Franky used before.

When I posted this morning, I assumed that it was definite that the younger men were brothers. Obviously Tara is correct in saying it would be valuable to track down something that definitely shows a Rosscarbery link for Patrick. On the other hand though, I have people in my tree who I have no doc evidence about but know I am related to because of verbal info. I guess in the absence of documentation it depends how reliable other info is.

Offline Michael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 23:38 BST (UK) »
Sonas,

You and Tara are right to bring me back to earth after an initial euphoria on finally finding a Cork town link to my ancestors, or what I hope is a link.  I fully appreciate the 'tunnel vision' effect of research and that the need for clarification needs constant review.

It is refreshing to have others keep reality in check by not only providing paths of inquiry but also questioning supposed facts, which really are supposition without definite proof. 

I hope that Denis and Patrick are brothers and that they and their father Michael came from Rosscarbery.  I can only pursue the bits and pieces of information that come my way in an effort to put the whole of the story together, maybe.

Are you familiar with the volumes on the O'Keif family written by Albert Eugene Casey?  These extensive works are now located in the State Library of Sydney, Australia where I live.  Would they provide suitable reference material for the area of Cork I am interested in?

Michael.
Watson (Ripley, Derby)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 June 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, I haven't used O'Kief. I don't think it contains any or much west Cork material. There is an index here http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/genealogy/indextookiefcoshemang-corkmaterial/#M

I'll see if I can find out about the Franky nickname. Some of these nicknames are still used. There's nothing popping up on Google but it could be it's normally spelled differently.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 June 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Have you got a death cert for Michael by the way? Wondering about identity of informant?