Author Topic: Rossiters of Meare,Wedmore,Somerset  (Read 5689 times)

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rossiters of Meare,Wedmore,Somerset
« on: Tuesday 05 June 12 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there i am from Australia seeking information about William Rossiter Born 4/2/1787 Wedmore Somerset Died 15/2/1871 in Meare,Somerset, he married Anne Wickham 19/11/1809( I have copy of pallets marriage index) in Mere. Their son Charles Married Louisa White who with their 3 children emigrated to Melbourne, Australia arriving in Jan 1853. What i am looking for is information for William Rossiter and Anne Wickham,s parents, siblings, etc. I have come across another William Rossiter who married Anne Reeves but think this is another family ????, can anyone help
me
Cheers June

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rossiters of Meare,Wedmore,Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello junie43,

You seem to have the baptism for William Rossiter in 1787, which shows him to be the son of William and Elizabeth Rossiter.

There were siblings, all baptised Wedmore as follows:

Elizabeth, baptised 04/02/1787, was she a twin of William?
Rebeckah, baptised Wedmore 20/11/1785.
Hannah, baptised 05/11/1794.
Elizabeth, baptised 17/01/1797.
Sarah, baptised 25/03/1799.
Ann, baptised 17/03/1805.

There is a burial for Elizabeth, wife of William Rossiter, at Wedmore on 17 March 1805.

After that, there are baptisms at Wedmore for a couple by the name of William and Mary Rossiter. Then William and Anne Rossiter. I could not find a marriage on Freereg for William Rossiter, widower, however.

There is a baptism on 13/12/1809 at Wedmore for William Rossiter, son of William and Anne Rossiter.

All the above are on Freereg http://www.freereg.org/

It is difficult to determine a baptism for William Rossiter bc1765.

Jo.

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 01:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information it is much appreciated and i will follow up. I don,t know if Elizabeth and William were twins but i will check it out, funny thing that, as my mother whose maternal grandfather was Thomas Rossiter, Son of Charles Rossiter, Son of William Rossiter (1787) was also a twin.
Cheers June

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 02:31 BST (UK) »
I have searched the record details and think that Elizabeth may have died in childbirth as the baptism of ann and death of elizabeth are both on the same day, maybe ann also died on that day.  William then married Mary, with all those children to look after i would imagine that William remarried rather quickly.
I had no idea the Freereg site existed so have now added it to my Bookmarks, so many thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Cheers June

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

I am pleased the information was of use to you.

It was usual for widows and widowers left with children to remarry quickly in those days. Life had to be practical and both men and women needed a partner to help them. Elizabeth looks to have died as a result of childbirth as you say.

I wondered if you had the census returns for William Rossiter. I found him in those for 1841, 1851 and 1861.

In 1841 he is living in Meare, reference: HO107/943 Book 5.

William Rossiter aged 55, Ag Lab, born Somerset.
Ann Rossiter, aged 53, born Somerset.
William Rossiter, aged 21, born Somerset.
Elizabeth Rossiter, aged 15, born Somerset.
Ambros Rossiter, aged 10, born Somerset.
Maria Rossiter, aged 8, born Somerset.
Eliza Rossiter, aged 7, born Somerset.

1851 reference HO107/1935 Folio 321 Page 25. Meare.

William Rossiter head, married, aged 64, occupation Farmer's labourer, born Wedmore.
Ann Rossiter, wife, aged 62, born Wedmore.
Eliza Rossiter, daughter, single, aged 19, born Wedmore.
Dianna Reeves, widow, aged 101, born Wedmore.

In the 1861, the name has been transcribed as Roseter. Reference: RG9/1667 Folio 54 Page 11.

William Roseter, head, married aged 75, Labourer, born Wedmore.
Ann Roseter, wife, aged 74, born Wedmore.
Living in Meare.

It appears that it is William Rossiter senior who married Ann Reeves.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Wedmore, 24 February 1788, Anne, daughter of William and Diana Reeves.

There are siblings shown baptised there too. These entries are on Freereg.

Jo.

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 12 02:48 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the cenus for 1841, 1851, 1861 but believe this william rossiter and ann rossiter is not my family as in the 1851 census it mentions Dianna Reeve aged 101 who i believe is the mother of Ann Rossiter mentioned so Ann,s maiden name would have been Reeves.  The William Rossiter who is my ancestors was
1.  William B 1750 in Wedmore Maried Elizabeth Venn in 1781 Elizabeth died in 1805, William then married Mary Lyons.  The children of William and Elizabeth were.
William Venn  1781-1782
Rebecka  1785-
William  1787-1871
Hannah  1795-
Elizabeth  1797
Sarah 1799-
Ann  1805-
2. William B 1787 Wedmore, Married Ann Wickham 1787-
Their children were.
Mary 1810-
Anne 1814-
Hugh 1816-
Louisa 1818-
Lucinda 1822-
Charles 1823-1904 Died at Warracknabeal, Victoria,Australia
Eliza Ann 1834-

There does seem to be another family of William and Ann Rossiter from the same area, but i have copy of pallets marriage which states that my William Rossiter married Anne Wickham.  Very confusing isn,t it when they practically all have the same names and lived in the same areas.  Does anyone know if any of the Rossiter Males served in the Princes Charlotte of Wales Regiment, i have a collar brooch from the uniform, it is of a chinese dragon with princess charlotte of wales etched on the bar , my late mother greatly treasured this.
Cheers June

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

Can you be sure that William Rossiter b1787 Wedmore, didn't marry again to Ann Reeves?

The census details show that he was born 1787ish in Wedmore and the rest fits. Were there two people born in Wedmore at that time of the same name?

Jo.

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 12 01:31 BST (UK) »
No i can,t be sure William didn,t marry again and have more children, i find it very confusing that there are people with the same name marrying others with the same name some of their children having the same name, and living in the same area possible same village/town, is there a record of the marriage of William and Ann Reeves if so where do i find it on line.
Thanks June