Author Topic: Rossiters of Meare,Wedmore,Somerset  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rossiters of Meare,Wedmore,Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 June 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

It is on the IGI but a submitted entry and not from the original sources. The entry gives the baptism date the same as for your William.

There is also another entry on Find My Past, this is based on the parish registers, so can be accepted as fairly reliable.

I suspect it is your William from all the details on the census returns etc. It is confusing with a number of Rossiter families in that area of Somerset.

The date of the 1809 marriage is shown as 21 February 1809. Did Mary Lyons die and William marry again?

Don't forget that there is the baptism of William Rossiter, in Wedmore, on 13/12/1809. He was the son of William and Anne Rossiter. There is also a burial in Wedmore on 16/07/1810 for an "infant" child of William and Ann Rossiter. Could be he died in his early months.

I think it needs a bit more digging around to be sure.

Jo.

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 12 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again many thanks for your help, this is what i have found. I shall call them William 1,2,3 etc so as not to confuse further.
1. William Rossiter B 1750 D 1847  M Elizabeth Venn in 1781 Wedmore Somerset. They had 7 children 2 of whom were named William.
2. William Venn B 1781 D 1782 they then had another boy and they also named him William.
3. William B 1787 D 1871.
Elizabeth Venn D 1805 i think in childbirth (Ann last child).  William (1) then married Mary Lyons in 1805 i think they had 2 children.
William (3)  M Anne Wickham in 1809 in Mere, Wiltshire, palletts marriage shows William (3) was of parish Monkton Deverell. They had 7 children one of whom was Charles B 1823 D 1904 in Warracknabeal, Vic,Australia, Charles emigrated to Australia on assisted passaged, Louisa died in 1858 in Victoria of dysentry. Charles M Ann Fletcher in 1862 and they had 10 children Charles had 13 children altogether. One of Charles and Louisa,s children was Thomas B 1847 D 1903 in Warracknabeal, Victoria. Thomas M Rebecca White (B1848 D 1932) at the Manse Ararat, Victoria, they had 5 children one of whom was Mary Ann (my grandmother) B 1877 D 1964 she married William John Daniel in 1897 they had 9 children one of whom was my mother - who was also a twin. This is a basic history i have for the Rossiters. As i am not from England i don,t know where these places, Wedmore, Meare,Mere,Monkton Deverell, Somerset and Wiltshire are ?? are they close together, did families travel far back in those times or stayed closer to where they were born, maybe someone can put up a map and highlight these places so i can place where they are in relation to each other. There are other family trees out there which show William (3) married to Ann Reeves  who also lived and married in Wedmore at the same time, but the children don,t match up with the ones i have, and this is where is becomes confusing.
Cheers June

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 12 02:27 BST (UK) »
What is the IGI??????
Thanks

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

First of all to say the IGI stands for the International Genealogical Index. This has been compiled by the Church of the Latter Day Saints whose aim is to have the family tree of everyone who has ever lived.

There are two versions available to search online:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/IGI/search_igi.asp

https://familysearch.org/

The sources for the information vary. There are some submitted entries, that is to say that church members have put these on. These are not reliable in every instance. There are other entries from original sources as parish registers, usually Bishops' Transcripts. These are more accurate. You should bear this in mind when searching for information.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

The entry on Find My Past which shows the marriage of William Rossiter to Ann Reeve in 1809 has been taken from Boyd's Marriage index.

Freereg shows one person by the name of William Rossiter born in Wedmore in 1787.

I think there must be some doubt about the marriage of William Rossiter to Ann Wickham being certain as that of the William Rossiter born 1787 in Wedmore. It is more likely that he was the William Rossiter married to Ann Reeve in Wedmore in 1809.

What makes you so sure of the marriage in Mere which shows him of the parish of Monkton Deverill? Rossiter is quite a common name in some areas of Somerset and there is no definite identification for that William being the same as William Rossiter b 1787 from Wedmore.

We do know (from Freereg) that a William and Anne Rossiter had children baptised in Wedmore in 1809, 1811, 1816 and 1820. In 1823 there was a baptism for a child of William and Nancy Rossiter. It is sometimes the case that Ann and Nancy are interchangeable.

In 1825, a William and Ann Rossiter baptised a child in Meare.

There were baptisms to William and Ann Rossiter in Wedmore in 1828, 1831 (two on the same day)and 1834. Their abode was shown as Mudgeley in 1828 and Bagley thereafter. William's occupation given as Thatcher. He was shown as a labourer previously.

Apart from the one baptism in Meare in 1825, everything links this William Rossiter to Wedmore, or the surrounding area. I think you will need to do some further research to be certain that the William who married Ann Wickham is the same person as the William born in Wedmore in 1787. What do other Roots Chatters think?

Jo.

Offline boycefamilytree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bringing Boyce's together again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am sure there is a connection to the Rossier family in Evercreech andDitcheat.
I know there is info on the website regarding marriages in these areas.
I am not on my own pc at the moment but there is a Rossiter researcher on my lists at home due to the Boyce connection in Somerset.
Regards,
Dave Boyce

Boycefamilytree
Boice - Ditcheat,Evercreech,Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Boyce - Ditcheat,Evercreech,Somerset
Hore/Hoare - SOM
Boyce - South Wales
Wrench -Bridgwater,Enmore,Broomfield,Somerset, Aldbury,Herts,Pontypridd
Sealey / Follett / Wintle of Treforest,Pontypridd
Hunt - North Cadbury Somerset & Pontypridd
Coombes,Cooms,Coombs - Merthyr,Penrhiwceiber ,
Lewis - Merthyr
Price - Mountain Ash,Abercynon,
Hewer - Somerset
Rowsell - Somerset & Pontypridd
Garland / Cridland - Somerset&Wales
Mounter - Kingsbury /Penart

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there i am pretty sure that my William b 1787 married Ann Wickham as they have a child named Charles who was my maternal 3rd great grandfather B 1823 and the records for William and Anne Reeve do not have a child named charles and the children of William and Anne Reeve are different. William and Ann Wickham,s children were Mary B 1810, Anne B 1814, Hugh B 1816, Louisa B 1818, Lucinda B 1822, Charles B 1823 .
There are lots of Rossiters out there  so it becomes very confusing, does anyone know of a Rossiter who served in Princess Charlotte of Wales Regiment, i have a collar stud (off the uniform) of this regiment which was greatly treasured by my mother, they would have to have been in the regiment prior to 1853 when Charles emigrated to Australia. Cheers June

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hey there i have found on FreeReg record details of the marriage between William Rosseter and Anne Wickham, they were married at St Michael the Archangel in Mere, Wiltshire, 19th Nov. 1809. William Rossiter being of the Parish of Monkton Deverell, Bachelor and Anne Wickham Spinster.
Cheers June

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 June 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

I realise you are in Australia and not familiar with British geography. The best idea would be to look at a map of the UK.

You will see that there is a Mere in Wiltshire which is about 5 miles form Monkton Deverill. There is also a Meare in Somerset, which is in the vicinity of Wedmore.

There are two places by the name of Mere/Meare, the former in Wiltshire and the latter in Somerset.

There is a place by the name of Westhay which is close to Meare, Somerset, where William and Ann Rossiter were living in a couple of the census returns. The indications are that this is the Willaim Rossiter born 1787 in Wedmore.

I think there you have two different people by the name of William Rossiter, one from Wedmore who married at least twice. The other from Wiltshire, maybe Monkton Deverill, who married Ann Wickham. It seems to me that your William is the one from Wiltshire and there is no known connection with the William Rossiter baptised in Wedmore.

Jo.