Author Topic: The Pettitts of Mount Bures, Essex  (Read 8609 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Pettitts of Mount Bures, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Emma,

you might want to try the local website, and it's forum?
I found 4 threads mentioning Pettitt

http://www.bures-online.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=f9d4c5b855364a825212bf63d1a9b4ec

My family are from the Suffolk side, Bures St Mary!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 June 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
Firstly Mike - where did you find that Elisha son of Hugh and Deborah christening in 1795?

Also yes I will look on that forum too. It looks promising. I did notice there were quite a few Pettitts in Suffolk too so will investigate. The line I am tracing via Elisha's son, Charles, came to London and became lightermen on the docks. Quite interesting.

As for hijacking the discussion - no problem. All very useful knowledge.

Thanks for all the info!

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Emma,

Found the Christening in the parish records of St John Mount Bures.

You can view these on microfiche at Essex Records Office at Chelmsford for free once you have a readers card which I believe can still be issued on the spot as long as you bring some form of identification.  I have had mine for a number of years.

If you do not live too far from Chelmsford and have a number of Essex ancestors it is well worth a visit. It is a well run office with helpful staff.

As Trevor advised you can view on line but a fee is payable. If you live a distance from Chelmsford this option could be a lot cheaper than the train fare or petrol !

Thames lighterman does sound interesting - there was a bit on TV about them very recently - apparently there were lots of them in the past but there are very few now.

Kind regards
Mike
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
hi all
watermen and lightermen  have a look here www.parishregister.com/aboutstp.html  this is a definitive site for those old boys and there is still a guild in london for them one of my grandads was a lighterman bless his little cotton socks but the prestige job was waterman they had a license to pilot boats on all thames water where as lightermen managed as it says the lighters moving cargo from ships to shore or wherever , they have pics of old uniforms for watermen on parish register .
nice to see your still busy here ;D.
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 June 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for looking this up.

I live in Hampton, near Hampton Court in SW London so Chelmsford is not very easy to get to, I am afraid. I'll look into paying online but thanks for that one..

Yes, the watermen and lightermen are interesting. The BBC mentioned them on Sunday at the Jubilee Pageant!

emma

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Pettitts (or Pettits) of Mount Bures and wonder if anyone can help. I have traced the family back to Elisha Pettitt (b 1795 d 1856) and his wife Elizabeth Fairhead (b 1795 d 1868) and have found some other online trees stating that Elisha's father was Hugh Pettitt and Hugh's wife was Deborah (Grove?). I don't know where this information comes from so I am wondering if anyone can help me. Another question I have is that later members of the family put their birthplace on various censuses as "Chapel, Essex'. Does anyone know where this is? It must be near Mount Bures, I am guessing? Any help on this family would be greatly appreciated.
hello
Checked the fiches for you today They are very hard to read Hugh Pettitt married Deborah Groves both single and of this parish on April 12th 1778 in Mount Bures
I also found the following Jehu pettitt son bpt 16th march 1783
Dan Groves Pettitt  son bpt 13th April 1784  - buried 22nd July 1784
Elisha Pettitt son bpt 18th Jan 1795
Rachel Pettitt daughter bpt 21st Feb 1790--buried 2oth April 1790
Anna Lay Pettitt daughter bpt 31st August 1788
Elijah Pettitt son bpt privately 19th April 1786 admitted 14th May 1786
Charles Pettitt son bpt 14th October 1781
Jacob Pettitt son bpt 12th September 1793--buried2nd March 1794
Also Anna Lay Pettitt married William Boggis 20th April 1812
There are lots of Pettitts but these all relates to Hugh and Deborah
If you would like any other names please ask This info came from micro fiche in colchester library not from someones tree. :)
Regards
Ronnie :)
Hope these are helpful

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 June 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again

All you Pettitts out their may be interested in this as it is Jubilee Year
In the parish records  was an account made by the vicar  in respect of  Queen Victorias Jubilee celebrations in the parish on june 21st 1887
 It tells of the celebrations and public dinner and childrens tea held in the rectory grounds thanks to a committee of parishioners."special thanks being due to Mrs George Pettitt of the Elms farm and Mrs Peter Pettitt who took upon themselves the  cooking of the food, also the Megan Peter and Frank and Joseph Pettitt and many others who were helpful etc." There followed a list of donations made and several pettits were listed
I was most surprised to find it on the fiche. :)
Ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 June 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie  ;D
just popped in to say hello hope your well  ;)
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Trev
Yes i am brilliant Have missed seeing you on here lately  :'( :'(  I speak to annabel sometimes on Face book she has been in the states and scotland so not to busy on here at the mo Hope you and yours are well  Those pettits are quite a big family in bures and surroundings arent they
 :)ronnie