Author Topic: Photo of RAF / WAAF meal possibly in West of Scotland  (Read 13098 times)

Offline WH1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of RAF / WAAF meal possibly in West of Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
I can tell you about the photographer as he was my father. 60 Caledonia Crescent Gourock was his home address during the was and till the late 1940's. He did have a place in Sugarhouse lane but that was well before I was born in 1955, it was destroyed in a fire. He continued his business as James Hall Photographers Ltd, 38 Union St Greenock until he died in 1965 with my mother then continuing the business.

He was the official Admiralty Photographer during the war and I cant help thinking the location is familiar to me. Gamble Halls, Gourock possibly. It's likely to have been near Greenock as that is where he was based.

He's has a lot of pictures published in books like Greenock Revisited by Gemmill, Images of Greenock by Anthony McNeil etc

Gound this posting by accident. May do some research myself sometime

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat WH !     Its a great site for all sorts of family history related topics, as well as restoring old photos, and just a bit of fun !! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 September 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat WH! How exciting that you have found this post and one of your father's photographs.

(I thought that it had been confirmed that this photo was taken in Greenock Town Hall. )

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 October 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
Interesting to learn about James Hall being photographer for Admiralty. I had thought this was an RAF event, but followed up elaine447's suggestion to contact the Watt library and they kindly provided copies of reports from the Greenock Telegraph which showed the Wings for Victory parade (on 1st May 1943) was a much bigger affair. The headline in the main report was 'A Grand Show - Procession that Captivated Greenock'. The parade was led by the Royal Marines band and the first part included representatives not just from the RN but allied navies also. All the armed forces took part, along with civilian and youth organisations. A total of almost 4000 marched in the parade and the crowds watching it were reported to be four deep on both sides of the streets. According to the report 'Greenock's streets have not held such large crowds since the Queen Mary came down the Clyde'.

I find it amazing that such a big event could be organised at that time, but it possibly reflects that the war was starting to go the way of the allies and such events were probably great for morale, as well as helping efforts to raise funds for the war effort.

Sandy

Offline GourockMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 September 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
Picking up this thread rather late in the day ! .. and was interested to see that J Hall's son had replied.  I was born in Gourock in 1942 and my father worked at Gourock Ropeworks until end of 1945.  I have two J Hall photos .. one of Gourock taken from Lyle Road (and I visited the end house on Cambridge Ave just a week ago and left a copy of the photo with the current owner) and the other of the Queen Elizabeth.  Not sure if these feature in any publications but if not they deserve to be recorded.

Offline GourockMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 25 September 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
here's the QE photo !

Offline David Symes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of Transport Officials, possibly 1953.
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 February 23 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have an interesting photo' stamped on the back: JAMES HALL, 38 Union Street, Greenock, Phone 23044. The photo' is No. F185/22 and I believe it's a meeting of transport officials, including some from Bournemouth, possibly in Scotland, in 1953.

Can you tell me anything about the photo' please? I wonder if any registers still exist, which may give details please.

Regards,

David Symes

Highcliffe
Dorset