Author Topic: Blyth Market Square circa 1960  (Read 67526 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Blyth Market Square circa 1960
« on: Saturday 05 May 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
By the time I arrived on this mortal coil, the cars and shops had changed somewhat in Blyth Market Square, though I do remember Woolworth's looking like that. The Ford Thames 300E van outside Gillespie's Butchers dates it to 1958 or soon after. The finger board sign post points in the direction of Cambois via ferry. I used to like going to the market. If I was good boy I used to get to ride on the hand cranked merry-go-round. Happy days.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Market Square circa 1960
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Pretty good and clear photograph of the Market Place.  Referring to the signpost - you can just see the top of it. It always fascinated me with one of the named places on the sign being 'Boca Chica'.  It was on the Cambois/North Blyth side of the river.  I searched on the internet about 12 months back and found out why the place had been called Boca Chica.  It referred to some naval exploit in South America(if my memory is correct) and in which local(Cambois) sailor(s) had been involved.  I am not sure if I posted details here on RootsChat re what I had found.
And next door to Woolworth's and between the Market Tavern was Soulsby's butchers shop.  There were two brothers who ran that shop, and I believe they were called George and Stan.  They had delivery boys working for them after school, and one of the trips was across the chain ferry, riding up past Cambois to West Sleekburn.
Also, if I remember, there was another Soulsby's butcher on Waterloo Road.  I believe they were all related.
The Central Cinema - I remember queuing there one evening to see the film, "Sailor of the King".  It starred Michael Rennie, and a young American actor.  There must have been some age restriction re the film as I persuaded a couple to let me go in with them.  Years later I found the film was based on the C.S. Forester novel, 'Brown on Resolution.' where the young British sailor held a German warship at bay when he was armed only with a rifle.  The novel had been set in World War I, but for the film it was 'transferred' to WWII.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
I have no memories as such of the butchers shops, however I have a couple of other old pictures which show two Soulsby Butchers next door to each other, one owned by George and the other by Robert. There were also other shops owned by the Soulsby's, one a ladies blouse shop close to where Boots is and the other shop was a men's wear shop adjacent to the old railway bridge on the east side of Turner Street.

The first mention of a Soulsby in Blyth that I am aware of was when Messrs Hodgson and Soulsby bought the shipbuilding premises of Bowman & Drummond back in 1863. Their business must have done quite well since in 1879 they went on to buy the yard next door previously owned by Robinson.

Hodgson & Soulsby built many vessels including the very first iron hulled hoppers in 1880 for the Russian Government. They continued to build iron ships of ever greater size up until their yard was bought in 1883 by the Blyth Shipbuilding Co. which was to end up being called Blyth Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co.

Hodgson & Soulsby built the legendary vessel 'Smiling Morn' a three masted brigantine renowned for her speed one of the fastest ships of her time. She worked on the West Indies / Brazil routes.

Perhaps afterthe business was bought out, Soulsby diversified and his descendants went into business in Blyth.

I did a little surname research and apparently Soulsby is a variation on Salisbury as in Wiltshire.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Also, re Boca Chica, I think you got to find out about that from my Blyth & Cowpen memories page on the WWW. Wonderful little story which I learned about from John Wallace's book The History of Blyth dated 1869. A wonderful book which can still be bought as a reprint on sites like Amazon. Though the row of houses that was called Boca Chica has long since gone, I have been told that there is a new build house at Cambois which now carries the name Boca Chica, wonderful to know that the old names will live on.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hodgson & Soulsby brigantine 'Smiling Morn'

PS Image out of copyright

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 18:11 BST (UK) »
Well, knock me down with a feather - 'Smiling Morn.'  There was a saying in our family of 'Hail, Smiling Morn.' I always took it to be just a nondescript saying, I wonder if it had anything to do with the ship, and passed down through the years without us knowing it had anything to do with the ship.
Perhaps other Blyth people have heard it said in their families in the past.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
My mother used to say Hail Smiling Morn - normally a sarcastic reference to someone with a dour personality or lacking a sense of humour  ;D

Christine

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
I have several postcards of Blyth, including the Market Square , on www. blythtowncouncil. org . uk

Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the pointer to the collection of old postcards.  ;D

Philip