Author Topic: Toronto streets, about 1840  (Read 27626 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Toronto streets, about 1840
« on: Monday 11 June 12 03:05 BST (UK) »
I think my great-great-grandparents both came from Toronto:
James Clezie, son of George Clezie, a cabinetmaker
Ellen Lockhart, no information about her background

They got married, 1840, at Troy, New York.  My theory: they were both from Toronto, and eloped.  Looking for evidence...

1843-44 Toronto directory shows James Clezie’s father:  "Clezie Geo, cabinet maker, Newgate street"

It also has one listing of the Lockhart surname:  "Lockhart H·y, blacksmith, Maria street"

Does anyone have access to an old map, around 1840?   How close together were Newgate and Maria Streets?  Maybe the streets are gone now, or have different names.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto streets, about 1840
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, the link will work:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nh5/
Newgate Street is shown (I haven't yet found Maria Street).

I didn't see Maria Street, but I didn't look too hard.  The map is dated 1834.  My "favourite" ancestors arrived in Toronto in 1857, so I don't know too much about Toronto prior to that time.  However, the population was increasing quite a bit, so if Maria Street was not on the 1834 map, it could have been on a map in 1843.

The families could have met at church, as well.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 12 07:30 BST (UK) »
Explains where Maria Street was (1843):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nha/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I found the street.  My first lead as to where Ellen Lockhart might have come from.  Now, how to discover if she really did?  I believe there is no census before their 1840 marriage.  Where could I find some record to confirm her existence?  She was self-effacing, or secretive, no personal information known.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi heiserca,

There were some censuses done prior to the 1st federal census done in 1851/2. They were done they were much smaller in geography, perhaps regionally (ie Canada West/Upper Canada) or locally (Toronto City, County of York, etc) for where you are looking. I would contact the Toronto public library to see if there was one done for for those locations, and if so, ask them to do a lookup for your ancestors. Hope that helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, jdc, I'll try that.  I'll first check to see if I can find some information about those earlier censuses.  Always hesitate about asking a research desk for help unless I have some idea what direction to point them.  First, find out the relevant census years; second, find out whether the census actually showed names of each person, or just numbers.  When I have those facts, then time to call in the researchers.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 12 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is the OGS Toronto Branch list of some available records for researching Toronto genealogy. 

http://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/toronto.html

You can see what census records were taken and what survives now.   :)

RK

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Kitty.  It appears that the first census in Toronto was 1842.  Ellen Lockhart was married and living with her husband before then.  So it won’t tell me names of her parents.

I’m at a loss... how to discover the parents of a married woman in 1840s Toronto?  The marriage certificate from Troy, New York does not show their names.

The Clezie family occasionally attended St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.  The Presbyterian Archives years ago sent me baptismal information for some of their children.  But nothing relevant was found  about the Lockharts.  No idea if they were religious or not.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
Assuming you have, but asking anyway:
have you found Ellen on census returns (after she was married) and was she born in Canada?

Update:  If they were living in Ohio in 1860, it appears that she was born in Scotland.

Added:  Previous thread about the couple.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0niv/