Author Topic: HELP- 1943 Inquest  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP- 1943 Inquest
« on: Monday 11 June 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello friendly roots chatters ,
                                              I am after some advice... I recently discovered that one of my ancestors  (Cornelius Maskall age 30) was killed on the railway sidings LMS, Brent Empty Wagon siding of Edgware Road, Hendon UD, he was run over by a railway wagon whilst Shunting on the 1st jan 1943,  the death certifiate says ...

Coroner for east middlesex Inquest held 5th January 1943

It may sound a bit morbid but I would like to know the outcome of the inquest ...  Can inquest information even be viewed? and if so where where would i find it?

Any help is greatly apprciated
Thanks in advance Alexpk

Maskall, Maskell, Hadleigh Suffolk, East Bergholt Suffolk, Wilkes, Howell

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP- 1943 Inquest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Under the Home Office Circular 250/1967, a schedule of destruction of coroners records is laid down.Once 15 years old the records can be weeded,' that is destroyed or sampled by the individual coroner concerned. There are exceptions to the 15 year destruction, and apparently it is not compulsory so some coroners choose not to destroy them. Therefore individual Coroners decide what happens to the papers, but very many of them were destroyed by the coroner anyway, hence there are regional variations in survival.
See http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/research/coroners/records.html about coroner's records A newspaper report is the best bet, but it an easy matter to contact the  relevant  Record Office to see what they have.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help , I will start there.  :)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
You best bet will be the local press.

At this time most coroners inquests would still be 'headline' news and as such will often be covered by the local reporters.

By law coroners are only required to keep their records for a certain amount of years and then they are a liberty to detroy (throw them out) them.  Some if very unusual may have been kept.

I know from experience that a coroner in the Bristol area in the 1940's decided his office need more space and threw everything away, he was not doing anything wrong, how was he to know that years down the line we family history researchers would love to see these records.

Check the papers for the week following 5th January 1943.  I would suggest that an article would appear in either that evenings paper or that of the next day or issue.  Contact the local archives and they will let you know if they have copies of the local papers and whether or not they charge for their services.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Plummiegirl,
                       Thank you for your response, I have emailed Hendon library archives as you suggested. If they hold the relevent papers I will plan a visit there. Thank you for taking the time to respond, your suggestions are greatly appreciated, most of my reasearch has been conducted at home online and I have only ever visted one (very friendly very helpful) Record office so the whole archive thing is new and a bit sacry to me.. but im very excited about it.

Thanks again, Kind regards Alexpk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
You could try the National Archives to see if there is a Board of Trade report, I found one for a similar incident. If there is one it will come under rail.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that, ive had a quick look and can see many fatal accidents are recorded there.. nothing has come up under a quick search but i need to have a better look when I have more time (got to get to work... better shut down now beacuse this is addictive!) 

Thanks for your suggestion Jebber.
Kind regards
Alexpk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

The London Metropolitan Archives has a detailed leaflet about the survival and 'why they don't' of London records

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/B4AD8012-54EA-4A38-BD3D-273ABB331498/0/41CORONERSRECORDSFORLONDONANDMIDDLESEX.pdf

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Alexpk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn  :)