Author Topic: Baptism in Chapel-en-le Frith, 1779  (Read 1289 times)

Offline LoesLamb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism in Chapel-en-le Frith, 1779
« on: Tuesday 12 June 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Familysearch shows the baptism in Chapel-en-le Frith of Maria Bennett, 23 Aug 1779, father John. The year matches the age on her burial record perfectly.
In 1801 she married a Dutch merchant who lived in Manchester.

John Bennett is such a common name, and I found a few possible marriages for her parents in the St Thomas marriage transcripts on
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dusk/chapel-e-l-f.htm
(I am aware they may have married elsewhere)

Do the original records of that time show the occupation of the father, or abode? Familysearch never transcribes those.
If so, it might be worth ordering the film, finding siblings and narrowing down the year of the parents marriage.

Marrying a merchant/cottonspinner, I suspect she herself may have a more or less classy background.
Some of the Johns were Husbandmen, one Surgeon, and one Yeoman.
The Yeoman came from the parish of Taxal, his bride from Chapel en le Frith. I assume his farm would be in Taxal and they went to live there. Is it likely they would have their children baptized in Chapel?

Loes

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in Chapel-en-le Frith, 1779
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
To answer your second question - Taxal was (and, in fact, still is!) just down the road from Chapel-en-le-Frith. Irrespective of where the farm was, I think it just as likely that any children would have been baptised in Taxal as in Chapel.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have a large number of transcripts of the Chapel baptism register (for my own family name) and none of them show the occupation of the father.  Where the residence of the parents is outside Chapel itself the place of residence is shown but that would say no more than for example Taxal.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LoesLamb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

As the Taxal man is the most likely one to be her father, also because of the date of the marriage, there is a chance she and her siblings might have been born there.

Loes

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 12 19:55 BST (UK) »

...Do the original records of that time show the occupation of the father, or abode? Familysearch never transcribes those.
If so, it might be worth ordering the film, finding siblings and narrowing down the year of the parents marriage...

Loes

Hi Loes

The Chapel-en-le-Frith parish register of this time is quite helpful with detail. If there were two of the same name, if father and son, it often qualifies the name with senior or junior. Nearly all christenings mention which part of the parish the parents lived, which can help distinguish fathers with the same name. But in only a few instances is the father's occupation mentioned.
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline LoesLamb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is good to know. Not only different parishes, but also different parts within CelF.

I have done more searching, and there's a good chance she was the daughter of John Bennett, the Surgeon. If so, a lot more is known about her mothers family.

One generation later a John Bennett, Surgeon, lived at Stoddard Lodge. I would imagine his father was that same surgeon. Let's hope Stoddard is the magical word!

Loes