Author Topic: Michael Manning and Mary Barrett  (Read 4421 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Manning and Mary Barrett
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 August 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
Finally got a chance to look at this again.
Anne birth 1868, 1901 birth 1876/77, 1911 birth 1882/83, marriage 1880/81, death 1869/1870
so her birth cert and death cert are close enough to be her but in between is a mess.
Elizabeth birth 1876, 1901 1880/81, 1911 1887/88
The two of them get younger with each Census.

Than you have the place name which on the certs appears to be Ballinanultha, Ballinanulta and on the 1901 Census Patrick is 80 and living in Ballinanulta and on his death cert in 1902 still 80 at Ballinanoulta

so despite the girls ages and the variations in spelling of the place name I think this the correct family.

I wish I could find something that ties Mary Harney to Anne and Elizabeth. I had not seen "Patt" with two t's for my line and it might have been used to differentiate from Patrick. I've also seen several Patrick/Patt Mannions married to Marys (not Harney) in the area around that timeframe. Ancestry has a tree with John Keady married to Anne Mannion whose parents were Patt and Mary O'Loughlin; I haven't found any records to confirm this (and I don't buy info on trees without documentation), but it is something that points in another direction. For what it's worth, I have also found no DNA links with anyone tied to the Keady line.

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 02:13 BST (UK) »
so despite the girls ages and the variations in spelling of the place name I think this the correct family.

I wish I could find something that ties Mary Harney to Anne and Elizabeth. I had not seen "Patt" with two t's for my line and it might have been used to differentiate from Patrick. I've also seen several Patrick/Patt Mannions married to Marys (not Harney) in the area around that timeframe. Ancestry has a tree with John Keady married to Anne Mannion whose parents were Patt and Mary O'Loughlin; I haven't found any records to confirm this (and I don't buy info on trees without documentation), but it is something that points in another direction. For what it's worth, I have also found no DNA links with anyone tied to the Keady line.

This is Elizabeth born in October 1876 to Patrick Mannion and Mary Harney in Loughrea: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03030/2110597.pdf

This is another Elizabeth (Lizzie) Mannion, also born in October 1876 to Patt Mannion and Ann (wrong name) Donahoe in Loughrea:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03030/2110602.pdf

Here is her sister Anne, born in 1868: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03436/2261712.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
Mary the mother or Mary the daughter?
There is a Mary Mannion on Ann's marriage as a witness.
Have you looked through the parish register, a lot of it is unreadable, I'm having a go but it's slow when your not sure of the year. She could even be a lot older than we think and born in Ballinasloe.
Where did you get Mary as one of the children?

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 19:27 BST (UK) »
Mary the mother or Mary the daughter?
There is a Mary Mannion on Ann's marriage as a witness.
Have you looked through the parish register, a lot of it is unreadable, I'm having a go but it's slow when your not sure of the year. She could even be a lot older than we think and born in Ballinasloe.
Where did you get Mary as one of the children?

I was referring to Mary the mother (Harney); I'd like to find something that ties Ann or Elizabeth to her directly as there are a lot of Marys and a lot are married to Patrick Mannions so I can't tell which is mine. Just to confirm, forget about Mary Barrett (yet another Mary) - as noted earlier, that should be addressed separately; I'll start a separate thread eventually.

To recap: my great-grandfather was Michael Mannion/Manning, born around 1866/7 in the Ballinasloe area and he emigrated to the US around 1891. His parents were Patrick Mannion and Mary Harney. Among their children were Michael's siblings: 1) Cecelia/Celia (b. 1867), who moved to the US and married; 2) Katherine (b. 1875), who moved the US and married and indicated that Ballinasloe was her place of birth and her last residence in Ireland was Attymon, Galway; 3) Thomas (b.1870), who I believe died in infancy in Ireland; 4) Mary (b. 1870), who moved the the US and married; 5) Anne (b. 1868) and 6) Elizabeth (b. 1876) - neither of whom appear to have emigrated. In short, there is a Mary Harney (my 2x ggm) and her daughter Mary Mannion (my ggf's sister), but the younger Mary definitely moved to Massachusetts - I have marriage records identifying her parents and Michael and Mary Harney. Daughter Mary said she was 26 at her Massachusetts wedding in 1896, but I found a baptism record for 27 Mar 1866 at Killimore and Tiranascragh, Galway, to "Michl Mannion" and "Mary Horney." Based on emigration dates for my ggf (1891-4), Katherine (1894), Celia (1889), and Mary (1888, according to the 1900 census of someone that fits her profile), children not named Anne or Elizabeth were gone from Ireland by 1889-1894.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I found Michael Manning's (my ggf) insurance application: he filed the application in 1902 in Boston; he indicated that he had two brothers (both died young - I've only found one potential match - Thomas) and 5 sisters, and I've found 5 likely candidates. However, he also said he had two sisters that died in 1877 of typhus at ages 18 and 21 - I haven't found them. He also said his mother and father were still alive in 1902 at ages 75 and 63 (however, he also said his unnamed grandparents were 93, 93, 96, and 64 when they died, including a 24 year age gap for one pair - figures I find hard to believe).

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 17:36 BST (UK) »

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Agnes 1874 mothers surname is a bit dodgy.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03144/2153341.pdf
could this be Mary?

Need to check the other Mannion family in that area.

Poor little Agnes died
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1874/020649/7245642.pdf

Thanks - the links don't work for some reason. And yes, it's kind of depressing to see some of the things the records reveal.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
Irish Genealogy is down at the moment, I was just about to have another trawl for Mary.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I just can't find Celia or Mary in Ireland.

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 September 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I just can't find Celia or Mary in Ireland.

Me neither. Celia (or Cecilia) doesn't come up in Ireland, but she listed Mary Harney as her mother in her marriage doc, she was married in the same city as my ggf (Waltham, MA), and my ggf had daughters named Cecilia, Mary, and Anna.

Same with Mary - she lists Patrick and Mary Harney as her parents in her MA marriage records, though I found an Irish church record of a baptism on 27 Mar 1866 in Killimore and Tiranascragh, Galway, Ireland, Clonfert Diocese with Patrick Mannion and Mary "Horney" as parents.

I have a DNA hits with two of Mary's descendants. Also, one of Anne's children was named Cecilia, so I know they're related - just not exactly how.

Running a search on FamilySearch for just Mannion with Patrick and Mary Harney as parents, I found Anne, Thomas, Elizabeth, Michael, and C/Katherine.