Author Topic: Patrick McKeon, born late 1850s  (Read 3533 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick McKeon, born late 1850s
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 05:31 BST (UK) »
Patrick McKeon, my great-grandfather, was born in the month of June in either 1855 (1920 US census), 1856 (marriage), 1857 (1900 US census), or 1858 (1881 UK census, Edinburgh).  There is evidence that Patrick's name was spelled "McEwan;" he was also illiterate, so other variations are possible.

Patrick was born to Michael McKeon and Catherine; Catherine's last name was thought to be Dignan, but we are not so sure any longer.  Other records reveal that it could be "Giblin" or something similar - this is currently unconfirmed. 

Patrick self-identified Roscommon on his son's birth certificate, but two other birth certificates reported by his oldest daughter indicated Leitrim as his place of birth.  Since the only self-reported document showed Roscommon, I assume that is correct, but he may have been close to the Leitrim border, or was even born there before moving to Roscommon later in life.

That's all I've got.  I have a lot of information regarding Patrick's time in Scotland and in Boston, but virtually nothing concerning Ireland.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

Offline staceyf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McKeon, born late 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of any help but in the mid sixties my grandparents bought a small holiday bungalow called Anfield cottage in Dromod, Leitrim. (think the area was called Annaduff).

The farmers that it was purchased from were called Mckeon or McKeown. They owned a large bungalow along the lane from the cottage. They had two sons Michael(pronounced the gaelic way) and Padraig.

It is possible that they may be descendents of the person you are looking for? I imagine parish records for Mohill/Dromod/Annaduff might help. Good Luck!