Author Topic: Bewley Family  (Read 1621 times)

Offline veloman4802

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bewley Family
« on: Thursday 14 June 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Bewley family of Cork.  My only lead is that my great great grandfather James Bewley stated upon his marriage in Cape Town South Africa in 1842 that he was born in Cork Ireland.  I have found in the records of the Friends in dublin, Mountmellick and Cork references to several Bewleys but no mention of James.  Can anyone assist or suggest lines of enquiry?

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bewley Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
A couple of questions: do you know if this is the same family as the coffee people? Do you have an approx date of birth and do the records you checked cover this period? Any possible location in Cork city or county?

Offline veloman4802

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks much for your interest and reply.  I have studied the book The Bewleys of Cumberland, Their Irish and Other Descendants, as well as looking at the family history in dublin.  None of this seems to be connected - or if it is I just cannot make the link.  Unfortunately the only concrete bit of evidence I have to go is the birth record of a son, Frederick (Victoria Australia), showing his age in 1854 as 33 years, ie born 1821, and place of birth as "County Cork, Ireland".  I have been looking at everything I can think of for the past fifteen years and it sort of feels a bit like mission impossible.  Anyway I would be grateful for any help you might be able to give me.  Kind regards, Philip Bewley

Offline veloman4802

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Sorry I didn't actually answer the questions you put to me!  Here we go:
1. is the same family as the coffee people?  - My work in looking at the Bewley's of Dublin would suggest possibly not, although there is no record of other Bewley families emigrating to Ireland. 
2. Do you have an approx date of birth? - Death record of his son would suggest he was born in 1821 , his Memorial in the Dunedin Cemetery suggests 1823, and his enlistment in the Dunedin Militia suggest also 1823.
3. Do the records you checked cover this period? - Yes I have checked everything I can possibly think of which would cover the period from around 1810 to 1843 (the time of his marriage in Cape Town South Africa).
4. Any possible location in Cork city or county? - Unfortunately I cannot say so.  But the entry on his son's death certificate states "County Cork".  My feeling is that if he were from Cork City he might have been a bit more precise, but this is speculation - it may merely have relied upon the interpretation of the person recording the details at the time.
Thanks again
Regards,
Philip

Offline Crocodile100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 24 18:53 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was a Bewley.  She told me that her father was part of a family split when the 'business' went to Ireland.  My great grandfather restored a coal scow from mud flats around North Humberside somewhere and raised his family aboard.  Part of that family worked ,,,,,  and owned. ,,,,,  some of the dockside and business in Torquay.   There were 2 great aunts who continued to own much of Torquay.   1 was named Alice.  I don't remember the other.