Author Topic: Seex-Dyer / West / Comerford  (Read 13646 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Seex-Dyer / West / Comerford
« on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I'm trying to find out more of my ancestor's whereabouts and someone has told me they think she may have gone to Australia.

Marjorie ('Madge') Lilian Seex-Dyer (nee Comerford) born c1888. Sometimes 'Seex' is considered a middle name and 'Dyer' is used as the surname.

Unfortunately I don't have a Findmypast subscription, but one possible example could be:

M S Dyer 1920 London-Fremantle

Perhaps not though!

Does anyone know of other sites that have passenger lists or are they all subscription based?

Kind regards,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seex-Dyer?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
She can always be searched for on arrival this end, though it will need to be State by State.  ;)
Do you have any clues about:
Whereabouts in Australia she may have gone?
Who she may have travelled with?
When she may have arrived?

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Thanks for your response!

How do I check State by State? Is there a contact list on here somewhere?  :)

Her daughter Joan M Seex-Dyer born c1917 would most likely have travelled with her.

Madge was widowed and later remarried a Richard J West. I believe they had one daughter called Sheila D West born c1925. (She must've moved back to England by 1925 to marry Dick West, so if in Australia, then was most likely there between 1918-1925).

Madge and Dick later emigrated to Canada! But I'm going to tackle that family story, after this one!

Many thanks,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Why do you think she came to Australia after 1917 if you know she married again by 1925 in the UK?

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I'm trying to find out more of my ancestor's whereabouts and someone has told me they think she may have gone to Australia.

Marjorie ('Madge') Lilian Seex-Dyer (nee Comerford) born c1888. Sometimes 'Seex' is considered a middle name and 'Dyer' is used as the surname.

Unfortunately I don't have a Findmypast subscription, but one possible example could be:

M S Dyer 1920 London-Fremantle

Perhaps not though!

Does anyone know of other sites that have passenger lists or are they all subscription based?

Kind regards,
Glen.

Hi Glen,

The MS Dyer 1920 London - Fremantle is actually Lady M S Dyer in company a J S Dyer, a 2 year old girl and J S Dyer, a 6 year old boy.

Dee   :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dee!

Hi Merlin, one relative mentioned Oz to me and another mentioned Canada!

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Seex-Dyer / West / Comerford
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

Madge and her husband came back to England, from Canada, in 1947/48, for her husband Richard West to die and be buried in Lewes, Sussex, England.

I can't find any records for Madge, or her two daughters. Any tips please, on searching in Canada? I believe they returned there, after the burial in England.

Looking for:

Marjorie ('Madge') Lilian West, formerly Seex-Dyer, nee Comerford, born 1888
Joan M Seex-Dyer, born 1917
Shelia D West, born 1925

Many thanks for any suggestions you can give,
Glen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,

There are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging. Sometimes by using newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories, http://www.canada411.ca/ etc it is possible to trace the families forward. So you can see from that how tight the privacy laws make it in trying to get information.

Have you found the passenger list they returned on in 1947/48 ?  Were both daughters unmarried at that time ?  There are few passenger lists for that time period unfortunately.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 January 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the message.
Yes, Canada seems to be difficult to do research! Especially online!

I've not found the ship's list yet, and I don't know if the two girls were married or not. I shall just keep searching for now!

Many thanks, Glen